Sigmas and Deltas repeat in stepshow

Aggies of all ages attended this year’s homecoming show presented by the NC A&T National Pan-Hellenic Council. The show took place on Friday at the Greensboro Coliseum.

This step show attracted crowds of alumni from everywhere. “It’s unbelievable. Words cannot express how much fun I’m having right now. The step show is one of the main reasons I come back to A&T’s Homecoming…so many people, so much love,” said Anthony Johnson of Atlanta who expressed this was his first homecoming in seven years.

Every year is different and every year we see the creativity, showmanship and persistence of a winning sorority and fraternity.

The Eta chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. won for the eighth year in a row with the Beta Epsilon chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. placing second. “[I’m] not surprised the Sigmas won, eight times in a row…they’re unstoppable,” said Breanna Vigilance, a junior journalism from Newark, NJ.

They showcased their versatility with acrobatic moves and originality with a Dark Knight theme and characters from the movie. Included were Cat woman, Robin and Bain.

“I believe we did a great job. We worked extremely hard for this performance and I am very proud of my team,” said Christopher Ingram, a senior sports science major from Winston Salem and the step master for this year. “Although we dealt with a lot of injuries during the process leading up to the show, we had so much fun winning our 8th consecutive NC A&T step show.”

The Alpha Mu chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. won first place for the third time in a row of the sororities with a “ The Takeover Will Not Be Televised” theme. The Gamma chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. came in second.

“I’m extremely proud of my team,” said Rayven Dulin, a senior journalism and mass communications major from Winston Salem who was the step master for this year. “The process was long and hard but I think the show turned out great and we had fun. I applaud both ourselves and the Sigmas because no one likes to see the same people win, which makes it even more difficult to do so every year.”

Actor and writer Chuck Deezy (“How High”) hosted show and he entertained the crowd throughout the show. He performed a tribute to his fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. and toward the end showed a video displaying his love for Golden Delight. “I thought Chuck Deezy did a good job,” said Marcus Brinkley, a visual arts major from Detroit, MI.

Each organization portrayed characters such as Kevin Hart and movie, “Laugh At My Pain” and Oompa Loompas of “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” in their themes, which aided in the show’s success. “We’re really happy with the overall outcome from the show and we have gotten a lot of good feedback from students, faculty and coliseum officials,” said Christina Garrett, assistant coordinator of the Office of Greek Life.

There was close competition throughout the show, but it was a matter of who would come out on top. “I think the Iotas were creative, and the Alphas were clean and fresh with their stepping,” said Brinkley. “But the Sigmas, for the eighth time in a row, had a lot of tricks up their sleeve, and Kenny had me in tears,” he added.

Only five organizations from the Divine Nine were featured in the 2012 homecoming stepshow but they all managed to entertain everyone in the crowd effectively.

• Chanel Tucker, Staff Writer