Ask A Black Guy

Do titles really change the nature of a relationship?

Guy #1- I used to think it didn’t. However, I also use to lie to myself. I think officially putting a title on a relationship shows that everything between you and me are exclusive and there’s no other person. If titles didn’t mean anything then explain why people get married. Why not just stay in a relationship, save money on a wedding, and go steady for 60 years? You get married because that wife title is more important than girlfriend, just like girlfriend is more important than boo thing. Titles are, and have always been, very important.

Guy #2- Sometimes it can. I think a lot of guys try to avoid the title because guys are just naturally afraid to commit. However, lately we have seen more and more girls start to do the same thing. I feel that titles help define a relationship a lot better, however a lot of people have issues because they avoid the titles. You remain in a weird area of “I like you, I don’t want you to talk to anyone else, but I have freedom to do whatever I want and you can’t complain, and if you do complain then you need to chill out because you’re not really my girl.”

Guy #3- Not really. If you are with someone then it doesn’t matter what their title is. They are with you, you are with them, and as long as the two of you have an understanding about what’s going on then I don’t see the purpose to mess that up with titles. Titles actually confuse relationships more than they help them.

Do you think you should follow your significant other on a social network?

Guy #1- I think so. I think it is important to know what is going on in each other lives. I don’t support stalking by any means. But I don’t see what is wrong with having access to them. I think if you block yourself from that, then you are potentially setting yourself up for failure. I don’t think you should stalk them, but you should have access to it.

Guy #2- There needs to be a level of privacy in every relationship. I don’t think it is that big of a deal to follow each other on Twitter or be friends on Facebook, but I do think it is important for the two of you to not stalk each other and read every single comment or wall post.

Guy #3- Absolutely not. If you follow your significant other on Twitter then you are opening yourself up to nothing but jealousy and misunderstandings. I followed a few of my girls on Twitter and now I regret it because I always know what they are doing even when they are not with me. This makes things complicated because now I’m wondering who she is doing it with, why didn’t she invite me, etc. I think it makes life easier if you just didn’t follow each other.

Do you think it is a big deal to put “In a Relationship” on Facebook?

Guy #1- It absolutely is. People try to down play Facebook and Twitter, yet we all have one and we all put information up there. So to put some stuff up there and not your relationship status, pictures of your significant other, or anything, just shows that you don’t want the rest of the world to know you are in a serious relationship. Some people say it is not that big of a deal. However if it’s not that big of a deal, then why not just put it out there?

Guy #2- Facebook is not that serious. I don’t even have one. My girlfriend might have us listed but if she doesn’t then I really could care less. I think it would only be a problem if I was insecure in our relationship. Just because we are together doesn’t mean the whole world has to know to make it legit. I think that is one of the major problems with our society. We put too much private information out for the world to look at and criticize.

Guy #3- I think if you are in a relationship then there is nothing wrong with letting people know. This way you can show people you are serious about your relationship. It may just be Facebook but these social networks are important. So to make it official up there makes it official to everyone, even the people you don’t know. So I don’t see the harm in just making it official for the cyber world and letting everybody know that you are no longer on the market.