Save time and money with do-it-yourself home improvements

(ARA) – As warm weather rolls in, the for sale signs start going up. Homeowners are increasingly looking for ways to update their living spaces and maintain the value of their homes without completing extensive or expensive renovations.

Whether it’s adding a fresh coat of paint to outdated bathroom walls or new hardware to kitchen cabinets, there are many ways homeowners can improve their spaces without spending a lot of time or money.

One of the best resources for do-it-yourself tips is DIY blogs. Bloggers tackle various home projects and document their journey online to help readers overcome their own home improvement hang-ups. With their efficient project know-how, homeowners can find stress-free and cost effective ways to renovate any space.

Efficient Home Transformations

Money Saving Tips – Provided by Sarah of www.ThriftyDecorChick.com

Accent a Room with Borders

Give walls a new look with decorative stencils, wallpaper or papered borders. They are a quick and easy accent that updates any room instantly.

Add Energy Efficiencies to any Home

DIY’ers are discovering that energy efficient homes are not only less expensive to own and maintain, but are also friendlier to the environment. Ways to make the home more energy efficient include using energy-efficient light bulbs, installing ceiling fans and insulating and sealing ducts to maintain the air conditioner.

Clean and Maintain The Furnace

Cleaning and maintaining the furnace once a year can make any home more energy-efficient and lower utility bills. By using washable filters, homeowners can save even more money by simply washing and allowing them to air dry. This cuts down on costs and is better for the environment.

Affordable Projects

Paint

Adding a fresh coat of paint is one of the most inexpensive and impactful changes a homeowner can make. With great innovations in paint like, True Value Hardware’s new EasyCare PLATINUM Paint and Primer in One, you can save time and money, making weekend paint jobs hassle-free. Check out www.TrueValuePaint.com for a full color palette.

Changing Light Fixtures and Hardware

Kitchens and bathrooms can be the easiest rooms to update with a few small changes. Replacing old, outdated light fixtures and cabinet hardware can refresh the kitchen or bath without consuming a ton of money and time with a complete overhaul.

Renovate Old Furniture

Updating an old chair or table is an easy way to spruce up a room. If you’re looking for new furniture additions, shop local garage sales and thrift stores for old pieces that can be revitalized with a little sanding, paint and new hardware.

Time Saving Tips – Provided by Brian and Paul of www.HandyGuysPodcast.com

Make a Plan

Set aside time to think through projects and organize your plan of attack prior to jumping in. Utilize great resources for DIY tips on www.StartRightStartHere.com and shop online at www.TrueValue.com for all project needs.

Build Utility Storage Shelves

Building a basic utility shelf is a small project homeowners can do themselves to get organized. Planned shelves will put an end to haphazardly stowing away and stacking things in the garage and basement – unable to be found again.

Quick Fix-it Project Ideas

Replace Old Faucets

Old faucets can make a kitchen or bathroom look dated and dingy. When choosing a new faucet, be sure that it will work with the existing faucet drillings, noting whether they’re center set, widespread or single-hole.

Check Your Asphalt Driveway

Seasonal temperature changes can cause asphalt driveways to crack and dip due to water seepage. To sustain durability, be sure to routinely check the driveway and make repairs quickly to avoid further damage. In order to prevent future water seepage, consider sealing the driveway.

Repair Don’t Replace

Tears in window screens can be a frequent and frustrating problem. Before deciding to purchase a new screen, assess the damage. If the tears are small, fix them with a screen patch.

Simple Room Solutions

Transform any room into a special haven with these simple fixes:

Kitchen

* Beginner: Brighten the heart of the home by installing new light fixtures.

* Experienced: Strip and repaint furniture to revitalize dated pieces and transform a room.

Bathroom

* Beginner: Clean tile grout to instantly refresh bathroom surfaces.

* Experienced: Update faucets and cabinet hardware.

Living Room

* Beginner: Let more light in by washing windows to remove layers of debris and film.

* Experienced: Install and paint window trim to tie the room together.

Bedroom

* Beginner: Redefine the entire room by adding color, or simply a fresh coat of paint. Use a shade or two lighter than the color of the walls to make a low ceiling seem higher. For high ceilings, use a shade or two darker to make the room feel cozy.

* Experienced: Create a custom stencil template and add a personal touch to your haven by adding a border.