Aggies make a difference in the community

Making a difference, doing what’s right and living the dream is exactly what students along with the A&T family did over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. N.C. A&T has a growing tradition of community service over the holiday weekend. This year the Martin Luther King Jr. Committee, which is responsible for the holiday celebrations, dedicated three days to help uplift the Greensboro community. On Jan. 19, students along with financial aid counselors went to Dudley High School to help students fill out financial aid forms and speak about college life. Students also had the time to interact with college students who are achieving their dreams. “You can make it if you just believe,” said Shannon Cannady, Student Government Association vice president for Internal Affairs. “Today’s youth need encouragement, often times they see too many bad images and not positive images.” The Habitat of Humanity Resale store is where the Aggie helping hands were on Saturday. While at the resale store, volunteers got the opportunity to greet customers as well as assist them in purchasing items. The revenue from all items purchased will go back to the support the building of a new house by Habitat for Humanity. The House that Aggies Built is one of those homes slated for future construction. “This is the reason we get out and do community service. It is the dream of the A&T family to have a house built by Aggies and we hope that all of today’s efforts will make us one step close to that reality,” said Mary Barbee, a member of the MLK Jr. committee. On Monday the university family went to Moses Cone Hospital, where Aggies spent time with ill children in the pediatric unit. They played games and read to the children. Also on Monday volunteers painted, cooked, read and spent time with the children at Summit House. Later that day volunteers put on a program for the families of the Smith Homes housing community. The program was filled with high-intensity stepping from the Wells Memorial Step Team and dramatic monologues from the Richard B. Harrison Players. Program participants were greeted by Chancellor James Renick and other students like Brian Holder and Nikia Isley-George, who gave personal testimonies about obstacles they have overcome. The day came to a close with lunch and a special presentation of gifts by the Student Government Association and the Student Union Advisory Board to the community center. Kamien Fazion, Student Union Advisory Board president, organized this year’s community service events. “I hope that other organizations on campus and Aggies come out a do more community service through out the year. It is very important that we keep Dr. King’s dream alive through helping others,” Fazion said.