Mayhew named MEAC freshman of the year

Despite sharing snaps with fellow freshman running backs Dontavious Payne and Tony Coles, Mike Mayhew was still named the MEAC rookie of the year by the MEAC coaches and sports information directors.

Mayhew rushed for 471 yards on 111 carries and six touchdwons on the year.

The last Aggie to rush for more touchdowns in their first season was Al Holland who ran for 12 in 1971.

It was  also  the most yards by a rookie running back since Barry Turner’s 556 yards in 1990.

Mayhew redshirted his freshman year  taking a backseat to former Aggie phenom Michael Ferguson, who is currently sixth on the all-time list.

The shared load between Mayhew, Payne and Coles combined for 941 total yards.

“Seeing those two battle for that starting position was one of the most pleasing elements of our season,” said North Carolina A&T head coach Alonzo Lee. “Competition brings the best out of a man. We can game plan and coach all we want, but when your players have to compete they have to get better. Having (Dontavious Payne) there certainly made Mayhew a better a player and vice versa.”

Mayhew didn’t stand alone amongst Aggies earning postseason honors.

Senior defensive end Jarell Herring was named to the MEAC defensive first-team along with sophomore defensive back Justin Ferrell.

Ferrell’s counterpart, sophomore Quay Long, earned second-team honors.

The two cornerbacks combined for nine interceptions.

Ferrell was the only Aggie to get two of his picks in one game against in the season. He did so at Howard on Oct. 24 and the following week Long broke a school record with a 96-yard punt return against Bethune-Cookman.

Herring blocked three kicks and forced three fumbles while finishing the season second on the team in tackles with 59.

“All of these young men definitely received well-deserved honors today,” said Lee.

“To have the rookie of the year in the conference, and to have two sophomores make the all-conference team shows we have a bright future ahead of us.”

• Daniel Henderson