Student chased into Williams Cafeteria by armed attackers

On Friday afternoon, the North Carolina A&T State University Police responded to a call that involved a male student being chased by two unknown assailants from Curtis Hall to Williams Cafeteria. At the time of the investigation, it was believed that the attackers may have been armed.

“We got a call that we had a person, who we later identified to be a [victim], was being chased by two unknown individuals and as a result we shut down the cafeteria,” Chief of Police Glenn Newell said.

Newell also stated that although the university police searched all areas on campus, they were led to believe that there was no threat to the university community.

Police officials temporarily locked down Williams Cafeteria around 3 p.m. to search for the suspects.

“I received a phone call from a manager saying that thought that someone had entered the building with a gun and left, and we put the building on lock down,” General Manager of Sodexo, Todd Meiners said.

The procedure for the lockdown of the cafeteria according to Meiners included securing exterior doors, making sure students and staff were away from windows, as well as keeping everyone on the inside was safe.

“We don’t sit around and start screaming somebody has a gun,” Meiners said.

“We just say we gotta situation outside, could you move away from the windows, and the university police is working on something out there.”

Newell confirmed that an arrest has been made, and the investigation is still on-going.

• Malcolm Eustache & Kelcie McCrae