Going to Charlotte for CIAA?

It is the time of the year when you reunite with your long lost friends at one of the most popular events in Charlotte. This historic event takes place Feb. 26,2013-March 2.The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) was founded in 1912 and is the oldest African American athletic conference in the nation. The CIAA consists of 12 HBCUs. Bring your family and friends to support a week of action packed events that are guaranteed to bring you the full CIAA experience.

There are several events that should catch your interest while in Charlotte for CIAA. The McDonalds Step Show Throwdown as well as the after party tends to sell out since it is a popular event. What makes the step show so unique is Greeks and high school step teams perform.

This year, they have a popular artist that is guaranteed to get you off your feet. Chaka Khan will be appearing live after the CIAA tournament. Tickets are on sale for $40 and $50 the day of the show. Another event is the Bowling Party Mixer at AMF Lanes that is mainly for the mature audience.

There are events like “Super Saturday” which takes place the morning of the Championship game for those who do not want to spend too much money. One of these events is sure to catch your attention.

This event has been successful for over 100 years and continues going strong. Every year, student-athletes are recognized for their academic achievements. The top athletes are selected to the Commissioners All-Academic Team. The CIAA conference also recognizes the Male and Female Scholar Athlete of the Year for students who excel both on and off the court.

This historic event has received national attention from Ebony Magazine for 6 consecutive years, Vibe Magazine, Essence Magazine, and USA Today. The CIAA tournament is televised nationally to more than 57 million viewers.

With the support of sponsors, this tournament is broadcasted on the ESPN. Over the past 12 years, companies like Bank of America, Coca-cola USA, Food Lion, Nike, McDonalds, and Nationwide Insurance have supported the CIAA conference in raising over $13.5 million in scholarship funds for the institutions participating in the tournament.

Do not miss out on this historical and popular event. Make your reservations now so you are guaranteed a ticket and a place to stay.

–Email us [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Everett Johnson Jr., Contributor