A little ‘thanks’ goes a long way

(ARA) – It’s hard to believe the holidays are over and 2011 is already here. If you are fortunate enough to have received a trove of goodies from friends, family and colleagues, there is no better way to show appreciation than with an old fashioned – or new fashioned – “thank you” note. Before too much time passes, take a few minutes to thank those who remembered you. Thanks can come in all shapes and sizes, so here are a few tips to help get you started.

Traditional thank you notes

Even in the digital age, it’s still fun to receive a handwritten note. When thanking friends and family for gifts, include specifics about what you received and how you plan to use the gift. Including details like these help make thank you notes more personal. For example, if you received a kitchen gadget, let the giver know the first meal you plan to make with it. If you received a picture frame, let them know who you’ll be commemorating.

A thank you note may be especially appreciated if the gift giver let you pick what you wanted. If you received a gift card, shop soon and be sure to let the giver know what you used the card for. Cards featuring a payment network logo, like a Visa Gift card, that are accepted at millions of locations can be used in many different ways – from the practical to the special indulgence. In fact, according to a recent Visa survey, when survey respondents were asked how they would use a Visa Gift card if they were to receive one this holiday season, the top three responses were:

* To indulge in something they might not normally be able to afford, such as a special dinner, jewelry, clothing or personal electronics

* To get what they didn’t receive from their holiday wish list

* To buy “life essentials” such as groceries or household products, or to pay bills

Whether you use your gift card to stock up on groceries or to indulge in a new pair of shoes, the giver will be glad to know their gift is appreciated.

Digital thanks

For the tech savvy, or if you simply don’t have the time to sit down and pen a handwritten note of thanks, a digital thank you is another option There are a variety of online choices that allow you to craft a free or low-cost thank you note that can be digitally delivered. Even an e-mail can be used to express your thanks. Sending an online thank you offers great potential for personalization. Include a digital image of yourself using or wearing the gift to show just how much it is appreciated. If you received a gift card, show the gift giver how you used the card. Include a photo or even a video of your purchase or shopping trip.

Don’t forget to think beyond the gifts you unwrapped as well. Many people go above and beyond to host the perfect holiday party or dinner. Show your appreciation for the time and effort spent on the special event by sending a note of thanks to your host. Include details such as your favorite part of the meal or how much you enjoyed visiting and meeting the other guests at the party.

Whether it’s a handmade card or a digital greeting, a personal “thank you” can go a long way in letting your family and friends know you are grateful for their thoughtfulness and generosity.