J Cam’ uses Youtube to showcase talent

Jason Cameron is a sophomore public relations major from Greensboro with a YouTube account and a passion for music. 

But what Jason Cameron also has is talent and his own show.Jason started the “JCam Show” about a month ago to showcase not only his own talents, but also any talent that he can find. 

“Instead of just posting videos of myself, I thought it would be a unique idea to give it some type of theme for the show and have other people on there as well,” said Cameron.  Cameron states on his site that he is looking for people with any type of talent on college campuses “whether it be singing, dancing, acting, painting, poetry, stepping, modeling, speaking, fashion, whatever”.

“I’m just doing what I like to do,” Cameron said.  “I love to be around talent and I love to sing.  If [the show] somehow got to be big and was put on T.V. or on the news, that would be great but I’m not really doing it for that.”  Cameron says that it would be great if people featured on his show were to get signed on professionally in the entertainment industry and he also hopes to get signed himself one day.

The Greensboro native says he has written many songs over time but it’s hard to record since it costs money to spend time in the studio. 

Cameron stated that there are a lot of people with connections in the music industry though and he plans to network more because he feels not having those same connections is the one thing holding him back from not having anything recorded. 

Cameron said that while he lived in Fayetteville he worked with a radio station where he was able to travel and also have the opportunity to meet a lot of celebrities.

“I’ve met celebrities, but I just hope that whenever I get the chance to shake a hand and when they see my face hopefully they remember me some day.”

“My ultimate goal in life is just to be a powerhouse in real estate, in the entertainment industry as a whole, I want to dabble in the clothing industry, in the restaurant industry, I want to be a powerhouse, and this show is a stepping stone and it will get my name out there more.

I feel like there is so much networking we can do out there on A&T’s campus like if certain individuals might come out and rap at a step show or something then like I could be singing.  You know nowadays, you can’t just sing, there’s no money in that, you’re going to have to find something else to do otherwise you’re going to be singing broke.  But it’s not all about money to me.

If somebody told me that they would sign me to a record deal I would just want to make sure I got food and clothes, and my traveling is paid for when I go to all these different cities to do tours and not getting any money in my hands, I could do it.  I don’t need to get paid, I just love music and I love to perform and I just want to do it so bad.”

Cameron says that one of the main reasons he has the show on YouTube is because people don’t buy albums anymore, but go online for entertainment.

“It’s like people say ‘when it pick up, it’s going to pick up fast and you got to be ready for it’, so I’m going to get ready because I’ve been waiting too long and I’ve been wanting this since I was four years old and I’m 19 now.”

Cameron says that as a PR major he has learned a lot that would aid him in achieving his goals.  “I’ve always been the type of person to say what comes out of my mouth and to dress any type of way and represent myself in any type of way. 

Especially in the entertainment industry and trying to be in the public eye, there is a certain image that you try to represent.  In public relations you have to make sure that the public is happy with your product and who you are and what you represent.  Music is a humbling experience for me because I like to share and to help other people, and it’s not all about me and I want the show to have a good name and a good look and I want it to go far.”Cameron says that he has developed a good fan base and as many as 50 followers of his show contact him daily on Facebook, but he remains humble despite the accolades he receives.

“I just thank God for the opportunity. My life hasn’t been easy, but the one thing that has always got me through is music.  Music is my stronghold and it keeps me together.  If relationships don’t work out, family don’t work out, friends don’t work out, I can just pop in the right CD and I’ll be ok. 

So I just want to share that with the world.  I feel like music is getting to a stage now where it means nothing no more.  Some people are starting to bring it back and I enjoy people like that, Jazmine Sullivans and other people who really take it seriously, but I just want to share that feeling that music makes me feel with other people.” 

• Marcus Thompson