What every motorcyclist should have when riding

The open road is calling and you’re ready to head out on your motorcycle and enjoy the freedom that it brings. Before you go, be smart and think about safety first. With the right steps, you can be prepared no matter what happens.

You absolutely should wear some protective gear, but there are a few other less-obvious items that wise riders don’t leave home without. Here are some items to always bring with you every time you head out on your bike:

Helmet: According to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, motorcycle helmets are the most important piece of protective gear you can wear. Consider a full-face helmet for your comfort and protection while riding.

Gloves: Full-fingered gloves help you have a better grip so you can stay in control. They also protect your hands from sun and wind blisters as well as cuts and bruises if you should fall.

Footwear: Sturdy shoes are important. Boots that go over the ankle are popular with those who frequently ride motorcycles.

Jacket: Choose a jacket that’s made of leather or another material that is resistant to abrasion. In addition, a bright colored jacket that features reflective material can help make you more visible to others.

Insurance: Buying motorcycle insurance is necessary to protect you and your bike. Keep your card in your wallet or stored on your bike so it’s easily accessible. And if you get in an accident, your insurance may help cover the costs of bike repair and any bodily injuries.

Kits: Most bikes come with a toolkit. If yours does not, create your own and include pliers, wire cutters, various wrenches and a flashlight. Another kit you should have is a small first aid kit. From a scraped knuckle to a burnt ankle, a pre-packaged first aid kit can help your ride go smoothly.

Motorcycle accident statistics can be shocking. Be proactive by taking the proper steps now by wearing the right gear, stocking your bike correctly and bringing the necessary personal information with you to stay safe on the road.