SUAB hosts spaghetti and spades

The Student University Activities Board (SUAB) hosted “Spaghetti and Spades” Nov. 3 in Stallings Ballroom for the student body to enjoy.  

Students were able to register in pairs for the spades competition as the event began at 7 p.m.  Complementary food was available throughout the event.  

Students had the choice of spaghetti with Alfredo or marinara sauce, salad with dressing, bread, meatballs and chicken.  There were also various beverages from which to choose.  

“It is both competitive and fun- this event is a good way for the student body to bond socially,” said Bryan Keller, a junior business management major and the SUAB Social Affairs Chair.  “We chose spaghetti as the main course because most people enjoy pasta and it gives the event a more comfortable and at home atmosphere. Our purpose is to offer inexpensive ways for students to have fun and interact with one another.”        

The spades competition started about 30 minutes into the event and card decks were provided by SUAB.  

The food was kept warm throughout the event so spades players were able to enjoy it at any time during the evening.  The competition began with a quick spades tutorial so everyone knew to play by the same rules.  

Each partnership signed up on a tournament bracket to face their competitors and each round consisted of three hands.  

The team with the highest score at the end of the three hands won the round and moved on the next bracket of competition.  

Music played in the background and a slide show of photos from previous SUAB events was shown as the competition ensued.  

The winning team and the runners up received an SUAB medallion.    

“We just try to host enjoyable events for the campus that get students out of their rooms and having a good time.  We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback from students and that gives us motivation to continue to host events,” said Ashley Echols, a junior fashion merchandising and design major and the SUAB Decorations and Environment Chair.  “I’ve really enjoyed working as an SUAB chair to get students more involved on campus.  Our goal is to make sure campus life is less dull and ordinary.”  

The event proved to have great participation as every seat in Stallings was full.  

“I heard about the event through a classmate of mine.  I came because I like to play spades and I like to win.  I didn’t even have a partner when I came, but I found one and now we are going to win,” said senior management major Sarah Spruell.  

Spaghetti and Spades is one of the many events SUAB has hosted thus far this year.  

SUAB plans to have more events for the campus to enjoy before the end of the fall semester. 

• Jessica Grissom