Suspect arrested in connection with Hodges killing

Greensboro Police Department, in conjunction with the U.S. Marshalls, have made an arrest in Springfield, Mass. in the killing of former A&T student Derek Carl Eaddy Hodge II, who was murdered on April 26, 2008 in his off campus home. Hodge was 21 at the time of his death.

Jaguar Emanuel Wright, 23, is the prime suspect in the killing and is being charged with first-degree murder according to reports by Lt. D.L. Willoughby. Wright has never been an A&T student, and was arrested at 82 Melha St. in Springfield, based on a tip from North Carolina law enforcement.

It is not presently known how Hodge and Wright were connected.

Wright’s defense lawyer, George Nassar, said his client has family in the city. He also said Wright did not shoot Hodge. “He maintains his innocence,” Nassar said, after offering an innocent plea on behalf of Wright. ??

Wright will be held without right to bail until a pretrial conference on July 29. Nassar has requested to review the details in the police record, and will make a decision on contesting the warrant and arrest.

North Carolina law enforcement initially stated that the killing was a drug-related robbery gone wrong, but have not offered further details.

In an interview, Police Captain Barry Black, Patrol Division Commander, said that the department was elated that an arrest was made.

“It’s been a thorough investigation, and with thoroughness comes time,” Black said. “We know that the community is finally glad to see and hear that something positive has happened and there is some justice in this case.”

According to Black, once the forensic evidence came in linking someone to the case, it was discovered that the individual in question (Wright) was no longer in North Carolina. The U.S. Marshalls were contacted to begin what became a nationwide search to track Wright down and bring him back to North Carolina.

“When we discovered that this individual (Wright) was in Springfield, Massachusetts through communicating with other law enforcement agencies across the country,” Black said. “That, along with the fact that this individual had outstanding warrants for absconding gave us the ability to contact the aid of the U.S. Marshalls to serve those federal warrants.”

Black did clarify that the crime being drug related might have been a misstatement on the Greensboro Police’s side, as he stated that there were no drugs found at the scene of the crime.

“From what I could tell, it looked like a robbery gone bad,” he said. “Whether the two knew each other or not is still up in the air. It’s a possibility because when people know one another you easily get yourself into a situation where you are losing your defenses. As far as it being drug related, that has just been speculation for a while.”

While the trial has not yet taken place, Black says that Wright will have to face justice. “He’s (Wright) got to come home,” Black said. “He has got to come back to North Carolina and face us. I’m hoping that with all the evidence we have, this individual will change his plea to guilty and try to seek some type of a plea bargain.”

Looking to the future, Black, along with the University Police Department are strongly encouraging students to remember to be safe, whether on campus or not.

“We are still located on the east side of Greensboro, we are still in a poverty stricken area, with a lot of people out of work,” Black said. “You still need to be aware of your surroundings.

UPD can be found in Ward Hall, next to Cooper Hall and Smith Hall. They can be reached at 336.334.7675.

• Dexter R. Mullins