Black couple owns 10 N.C. McDonald’s resturants

Debra and James “Smitty” Smith opened up North Carolina’s first McDonalds in 1959. They have now prospered in owning 10 McDonalds in the city of Greensboro.

On April 23, 2012 at the Worldwide Convention in Orlando, Florida Debra and James will be awarded the Golden Arch award. The McDonalds Golden Arch award is the most important award given every two years to a McDonalds owner/operator. The award recognizes good customer service, cleanliness, positive qualities, and the successful brand of McDonalds.

Running business can be challenging. “Some important tools you need is having a passion for business and turning it over to someone else. You have to have a passion for serving the customers and making sure you are doing the best job you possibly can,” said James Smith. Debra and James Smith are proud that they can create a legend for their family. They opened McDonald’s years ago and now their son Adrian in running the business. “It does my heart wonders to pass down the business. A lot of times African Americans do not have this opportunity,” he said.

On Tuesday, April 19, 2011 McDonalds had their first national hiring day, where Debra and James Smitty’s McDonalds Company for employment hired 500 people. The one thing it taught Smith was people was actually had a desire to work for McDonalds. It is no longer looked at as being the worst job. There are some people making about 80,000 to 90,000 a year driving around in company cars. People can find good employment from McDonalds.

Debra and James are admired by people in the community for their outstanding service as well as starting a business and patiently watching it grow over years.

• Tiffanie Jones, Contributor