France river cruises: The beauty of France from a different point of view

Whether you’ve been there 10 times or never set foot on French soil, the allure of France as a travel destination is eternal. From the metropolitan bustle of Paris to the bucolic charms of countryside villages, travelers fall in love with the country in many ways. But you can find perhaps the most unique perspectives aboard one of the many France river cruises.

Rather than exploring just one city, France river cruises will show you the best the country has to offer, both urban and rural. Getting a taste – literal and figurative – of everything the country has to offer will make your experience richer and your knowledge of the country more thorough.

The obvious starting point for most tours is the capital, Paris. It’s one of the world’s classic cities for any number of reasons, and you shouldn’t miss the opportunity to explore it. Paris might also be the capstone of your tour, depending on the itinerary you choose. France river cruises from companies like Tauck enable you to choose cruises that start along the Cote d’Azur or in Paris.

France’s attractions stretch from north to south, and you’ll be able to see the highlights along its waterways like the Rhone and the Saone. Here are some destinations that you’ll see on tours led by Tauck:

* Lyon. The designation of “culinary capital” carries a lot of weight in a country as famous for fine cuisine as France. Beyond the dining table, you’ll also find incredible history and artistry in this city, from the historic center of Vieux Lyon (“Old Lyon”), which dates from the Renaissance and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to the Basilica of Notre-Dame-de-Fourviere, built on the ruins of a Roman forum.

* Avignon. This romantically beautiful city along the Rhone river would have enough aesthetic delights to make it a must-see destination, even if it didn’t have significant historical sites. The fortified wall built in the Medieval era still stands, encircling the old town, much of which is constructed of buff-colored limestone. The main attractions are the Palais du Papes, where popes of the Catholic Church lived during a hiatus from life in Rome in the 13th century, and the famous Pont d’Avignon, the ruins of a famous bridge that is the focal point of a nursery rhyme known to all French children.

* Rhone wine country. Some of the best wine in the world hails from France, and you’ll be cruising right through the heart of one of the country’s pre-eminent wine producing regions. You’ll be able to view the long-established vineyards and, of course, get a taste of what they produce at wine tastings.

* The Cote d’Azur. “The blue coast” isn’t quite enough to describe the expanses of brilliant turquoise and cobalt waters of this region on France’s southern coast. The town of Nice is a focal point and a favorite of travelers thanks to its atmospheric old town and beautiful promenades along the Bay of Angels. Not far away is Monaco and Monte Carlo, where you can try your luck in one of the world’s most famous casinos.

Wherever your trip through France takes you, you’ll find unforgettable sights, tastes and experiences. Both experienced explorers and new travelers alike can sit back and enjoy everything the country has to offer on a well-organized tour that provides behind-the-scenes glances at some of the France’s most famous locales.

For more information, visit www.tauck.com.