10 Hacks for Better Studying

1. Leave yourself a gummy bear (or a piece of whatever your favorite candy is at the end of each paragraph as an incentive. When you reach the candy, you get to eat it. Corny, I know. But it helps!

2. Use a computer program, like Cold Turkey, to block distracting sites on your computer while you study.

3. For history and anthropology classes, watch a documentary on the topic. It will help you get a better understanding of the material.

4. Use an online flash card site like Quizlet. You can create your own flashcards and see ones that other people studying the same subject have already created.

5.  YouTube it! Channels like CrashCourse break down big topics into short, easy to understand episodes.

6. Create a practice test and take it in a quiet environment and time yourself.

7. Try studying between classes, in the mornings and early afternoons. This is when you are most active. Take advantage of that!

8.  Reward yourself after you complete an assignment, rather than diving straight into the next one. Treat yourself to an episode of your favorite show.

9.  Use the Pomodoro method of study. It goes a lil’ something like this: 25 minutes of hard work & study with 5 minutes breaks in between. Every third break can be 20 minutes long. This way your system does not overload.

10. There’s an app for that! TeuxDeux (to-do) allows you to make a to-do list, sends you timed reminders and allows you to scratch tasks off as you complete them all from your desktop or phone.

—Email Shelby at [email protected] & follow her on Twitter at @bronze_bombSHEL

• Shelby Ivey Christie Scene Edit