Black Nativity play gets ready for opening performance

The story of the birth of Jesus Christ is about to get its

annual Aggie treatment. Starting Thursday through Sunday students

from N.C. A&T’s theater department will be performing “Black

Nativity”, a play written by Langston Hughes retelling the classic

Nativity story with an entirely black cast.

The story of the birth of Jesus Christ is about to get its annual Aggie treatment. Starting Thursday through Sunday students from N.C. A&T’s theater department will be performing “Black Nativity”, a play written by Langston Hughes retelling the classic Nativity story with an entirely black cast.

Each year the theater department reenacts this play on campus, and this time around professor Miller Lucky takes the helm as director. With hopes of captivating the audience’s attention and evoking their emotions, Lucky has renovated the play by bringing to light aspects that may have gone unnoticed before.

“This is my fourth year here and my fourth year experiencing “Black Nativity,” said Jamia Tucker, a senior professional theater major and stage manager of this year’s play.

“Mr. Lucky has changed a lot of things adding his own twist and pulling out details that I never paid attention to before so it’s definitely a different experience,” she continued. “It has a more contemporary vibe this year; I’m excited.”

Members of this year’s production include numerous musicians and instrumentalists, a choir, and a cast of roughly 50 to 60 people.

“Outside of auditions and callbacks, there were at least 20 rehearsals in a little over a month’s time span,” explains Tucker.

Taylor Martin, a senior professional theater major who has been acting since childhood, was cast three times for the play and this marks her second time performing in it.

“It feels great,” she said. “I am a part of history. ‘Black Nativity’ is a legacy at our school.”

It seems that director Lucky is not the only one who wants to arouse emotions and conjure thoughts within the heart and mind of the audience. “I’m most looking forward to inspiring people and changing people’s lives,” said Martin.

“I want them to be able to feel the passion and the realness of Jesus’ birth while being reminded of what we’re here for.”

The Thursday and Friday shows will be held at 8 p.m. and the Saturday and Sunday shows will be at both 3 p.m. and 8 p.m in Harrison Auditorium.

“If you’re coming to see “Black Nativity” this year, come with your heart open and be ready to experience a wonderful story-probably the greatest story there is,” Martin said. “Come expecting something overwhelming and something very powerful.”

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Heleese Scott, Register Reporter