XC coaches impressed with teams’ efforts on, off the field

The Aggie cross-country team continues to thrive each week as they work towards the October 31 District Championships.

Last week’s meet at the Reebok Invitational in Cary, North Carolina included the Aggies along with the University of Maryland, N. C. State, Winston-Salem State, St. Augustine College, Peace College, Barton College, Shaw University, NC Weslyan and St. Paul’s College.

Of the nine teams participating, the Aggies women’s team earned third place overall and the men took fifth under the leadership of Steven Liggins.

Coach Roy Thompson has been optimistic about the season and is thrilled with this year’s team. “I am very happy about both teams this year,” said Thompson, “particularly the women’s team.

“I have three freshmen girls who ran 3.1 miles under twenty minutes, which is really outstanding.”

Among the freshmen that placed were: Kristin Rush 12th, Janessa Benn 13th, and Araianna Betts 17th.

Diamond Marks and Samira Johnson also placed with notable running times. Though both teams have gotten off to an impressive start, coach Thompson believes thereis always room for improvement.

“I want to see more of my guys and girls run under 20 minutes and become more competitive by the end of the season,” Thompson said.

“Cross-country running is a sport that requires a great deal of will power and temperance.”

Thompson believes his team is special because they use these restraints to become strong in academics.

“Cross country requires self discipline,” Thompson said. They get up at 6 am and run twice a day, they come on Sundays after meets and practice. Everything they learn out here on the field they take it in the classroom.”

The Aggies’ next meet is September 26 at Hagan Stone Park. 

• Shalon Bell