Veney resigns, Daniels takes over

After being hired just seven months ago as director of track

& field programs, Tony Veney turned in his letter of

resignation to Athletics Director Earl Hilton on Dec. 14

After being hired just seven months ago as director of track & field programs, Tony Veney turned in his letter of resignation to Athletics Director Earl Hilton on Dec. 14.

Veney was hired by A&T to replace former director Roy “Spaceman” Thompson after the death of Andre Milandu in 2010.

The Athletics Department has gone through quite a bit of changes in the last year hiring four new head coaches and now they will be in search of another one.

Members of the track team were notified via email. Word of Veney’s resignation also spread through Twitter.

Runners said there were no signs or any indication that Veney would be leaving.

“It was a shock to all of us,” said Sherice Walker, junior hurdler. Walker was on the team to endure both coaching transitions.

No one knows Venery’s exact reasons for resigning.

One of the permanent coaching spots, however, has belonged to James Daniels, who will now serve as interim director of track and field programs.

“I’ve been here like the bricks,” Daniels said jokingly.

He has been an assistant coach for A&T’s track program for the last ten years.

The Hampton University graduate is no stranger to running and operating a track program successfully.

Most of the runners on the team had previously run for Daniels and were recrutied by him.

“I really enjoy Coach D,” Walker continued. “He’s been through everything.”

“Our focus is moving forward and winning,” said Daniels.

After a good performance in last week’s Virginia Tech Invitational, the Aggie track team will travel back to Virginia to compete in the Hokie Invitational this weekend.

“Nothing has really changed,” Walker said.

The track team continues to be optimistic about the indoor season and the quickly approaching outdoor season keeping their minds on one thing: winning a championship

“While we were looking forward to utilizing coach Veney’s vast experience in track and field to elevate our track and field programs and events, we understand and respect the personal decision he had to make for he and his family,” said Hilton in a press release.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KayRob_

• Karmen Robinson, Sports Editor