Cole delivers his sideline story

In one of the most anticipated debut hip-hop albums in recent

years, J. Cole’s debut album “Cole World: The Sideline Story” is

one of those albums that many will have to sit back and listen to

several times before Cole’s true skills can completely sink in

In one of the most anticipated debut hip-hop albums in recent years, J. Cole’s debut album “Cole World: The Sideline Story” is one of those albums that many will have to sit back and listen to several times before Cole’s true skills can completely sink in.

However, do not let the Twitter world get you confused. The album is not an instant classic. Debut albums such as Illmatic, Ready to Die, College Dropout, DoggyStyle, Get Rich or Die Tryin, etc. are far better debut albums in the eyes of many critics and can play from beginning to end without skipping a beat. However on Cole’s album he recycles old tracks from old mixtapes, and a few of the songs were songs I could easily skip on any given day.

Yet I can still say the album lives up to the hype of being just as good as the hip-hop world expected. While listening, you often forget that this is J. Cole’s first album. In songs such as “Mr. Nice Watch ft. Jay-Z”, the young artist hold his own on a track that features a legend in the game.

The confidence in his skills are far beyond his years. And although he makes it known throughout the album that he is here to take over the rap game, you also have several songs such as “Lost Ones” and “Breakdown” where J. Cole steps away from the hype of the debut album, and goes back to the basics of hip-hop by telling the listeners a story.

Any true hip-hop fan knows that if you are going to last in the industry you have to have the ability to tell a story. On this album, Cole does just that. He discusses real issues and thought provoking issues in his work. J. Cole said he wanted to pick up and show this generation what they are missing when it comes to real artist. Well he is doing just that on songs such as “Cole World” and, my personal favorite, “Nobody’s Perfect ft. Missy Elliot”. He even brought in a few of his more popular singles such as “Who Dat”, “In the Morning ft. Drake” and “Work Out”.

Overall, the album is one that many hip-hop fans have been craving for many years now. In my personal view, the album was much worth the wait. In the song “Daddy’s Little Girl”, J. Cole refers to himself as the mixture between Sade and Shawty Lo.

That was one heck of a comparison, but in his own unique fashion, J. Cole makes it possible for listeners to make the connection. A great album for people who have loved hip-hop all their lives, and for those who have just recently started listening to the genre. Compared to other albums released, I would say it is just as good as “Watch The Throne”, and far better than the “Carter 4”.

OVERALL= B+

• Trumaine McCaskill, Opinion Editor