Build your East Coast baseball trip around cheap flights to New York

One of the best things about a trip to the East Coast is you can hit many of its cities in a short amount of time, thanks to their proximity. For that reason, the East Coast is an attractive summer destination for baseball nuts looking to cross a few must-see ballparks off their lists.

Due to its central location, two ballparks and the availability of cheap flights to New York, the Big Apple is an ideal travel hub for out-of-towners. Traveling by train or car, six ballparks – new and classic – are located within five hours of New York.

Yankee Stadium: If you missed out on your chance to see the original Yankee Stadium, the new version carries many of the same characteristics combined with new luxurious features. Get your history fix by visiting Yankees Museum, which features endless amounts of memorabilia, while augmenting what you see on the field with replays on one of the stadium’s 1,100 high-definition televisions.

Citi Field: The Yankees weren’t the only ones to get a new ballpark in 2009, as the Mets opened play in Citi Field the same year. Within the front entrance is the spacious Jackie Robison Rotunda, honoring the star Brooklyn Dodger who broke baseball’s color barrier. Fans of the Home Run Apple in outfield need not fret – the light up apple is four times bigger than the one that existed in Shea Stadium, the club’s former home.

Fenway Park: With both New York teams opening new stadiums, the Boston Red Sox chose instead to renovate the nearly 100-year-old Fenway Park, including brand new seats atop the famed Green Monster. Still rated one of best ballparks in the majors, Fenway offers a classic ballpark experience. Take the high-speed Acela train from New York and choose from abundant Boston hotels and make a night of it in Beantown.

Citizens Bank Park: The Philadelphia Phillies have their own 21st-century park in Citizens Bank Park, which opened in 2004. Much of the park uses classic red-brick construction, including Ashburn Alley behind the center field wall which features the All-Star Walk tribute to Phillies greats, as well as multiple dining options and fan attractions. Fans of the longball will love this park, as it has a reputation for being friendly to homerun-hitting sluggers.

Nationals Stadium: Another new stadium on the East Coast, the Washington Nationals began play in Nationals Stadium in 2008. The stadium mixes tradition with modernity, as a grove of cherry trees lines the area beyond the left field bleachers and the U.S. capitol is visible from the Upper Deck. Booking a room in one of the many Washington D.C. hotels may be a good option if you also plan on visiting the ballpark in nearby Baltimore.

Oriole Park at Camden Yards: The beautiful home of the Baltimore Orioles is often credited with bringing about the era of new stadiums with vintage features. The stadium was built into the heart of Baltimore’s warehouse district, with the towering brick warehouse just beyond the right field wall being perhaps its most striking feature.