Obama vs. Catholic Church

You would think that living in the 21st century women can decide

whether or not they want birth control; however, many catholic

based institutions have been preventing women from partaking in

contraceptive measures since 1968 when Pope Paul VI sent a letter

to all popes stating the new rule. President Obama has set a new

mandate stating that all catholic based institutions (universities,

churches, hospitals and charities) are required to offer birth

control to their American employees.

You would think that living in the 21st century women can decide whether or not they want birth control; however, many catholic based institutions have been preventing women from partaking in contraceptive measures since 1968 when Pope Paul VI sent a letter to all popes stating the new rule. President Obama has set a new mandate stating that all catholic based institutions (universities, churches, hospitals and charities) are required to offer birth control to their American employees. All workers will be able to receive free birth control from their insurance company.

Reporter Kristi Stone Hamrick of Fox News is against Obama’s policy and believes he is going against the First Amendment and acting “thuggish.” Many Americans are already in a dispute over unwanted pregnancies, abortions and complications from pregnancy but when the President steps in to help with these issues it becomes a big problem.

Obama stated, “religious liberty will be protected and a law that requires free preventative care will not discriminate against women.” Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum was asked about this policy concerning abortion and he responded, “when pregnancy is caused by rape…the right approach is to accept…a gift of human life…accept what God is giving you.” Churches have the right to preach about immoralities of using birth control but they cannot decide for a woman that she will not receive contraceptives. That is nonsense in many ways to think that you can tell someone what to do. People are always going to do what they want and Obama is helping everyone achieve his or her religious freedom.

This policy is a major step towards the future of our country. Most Republicans that are against this mandate are only mad because they do not like birth control and what to find as many ways as possible to stop the access of it. They are not worried about religious freedom but just finding more ways to cause problems between the church and state. It is safe to say that covering contraceptives contravenes costs insurers less than covering a pregnancy. They are looking at Obama as being an anti-religious person instead of him taking the necessary actions to help this country. This policy is for everyone and will hopefully be in effect in August of 2013.

• Jenell McMillon Register Reporter