Holiday fashion: What to wear to the season’s parties

If your schedule isn’t already packed with events and gatherings for the coming months, it will be soon. From office gatherings to family celebrations to cocktail parties with friends, you’ll be a merry-making machine. But, as we all know, you can’t recycle one outfit for all of the events you need to attend. Some will have very different dress codes and expectations, but as much as you want to make sure your clothes have the right tone, it’s a part of the seasonal fun to put together as many glamorous looks as you can.

If you’re stumped about what to wear to which party, follow these tips to start planning before the festivities begin.

* For an office party: You’ll obviously want to be a little more conservative when celebrating with your colleagues, but that doesn’t mean you can’t incorporate a little glamour. You could choose a dress – making sure that you’re not showing too much skin – or go with a Michael Kors silk blouse paired with elegant, silhouette-lengthening trousers. If your office is a more creative environment, add splashes of color with your tights, shoes or jewelry.

* Banquets, galas and annual parties: If you belong to any organizations or clubs or support particular charitable causes, it’s the time of year for banquets and year-end celebrations. It might be the perfect opportunity to shop for evening dresses. Since most of these events are awash in a sea of black, try going for something a little more unique: rich berry tones, deep emerald green and shimmering metallics (gold in particular) are perfectly on-point for current fashion trends. Go all-out glam with an updo, dramatic makeup and show-stopping high heels.

* Cocktail parties: Gatherings with friends can help alleviate any seasonal stress you might be feeling, so your clothes should reflect that spirit of fun. This might be the best time to break out your LBD (little black dress), but make sure that it has something unique to set it apart. Look for embellished or shimmering fabrics or add your own interest with sparkling jewelry. You can also feel free to show some skin – a colorful BCBGMaxAzria strapless dress with a shorter hemline would be just the right, playful touch for a lively party.

* Family gatherings: For many families, the holidays are the only time everyone gets together all year long, so you want to look your best. While silks and satins might not be right, you can still dress up with sumptuous fabrics in cozier styles. A cashmere sweater dress paired with textured tights and statement-making boots is an easy-going yet pulled-together look that will be perfect for gathering around the table or snuggling up on the couch for a favorite movie.

If what’s in your closet is feeling a little tired, search out some new looks. It’s easier than ever to find designer dresses and clothing at deep discounts on the Web. You’ll be able to look your best and still have plenty left over for holiday gift shopping.