A Fashionable cause for ‘Locks of Love’

Anyone familiar with Couture Productions may have been wondering, where has Couture been all year?  The long awaited return finally occurred on Monday, April 20.

Couture, along with Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity, presented the Locks of Love Hair Show.  The show was a combination of runway and intricate routines.  It was hosted by B Dot of 102 Jams.  Couture Productions is an on campus organization that consists of Couture modeling, dance and spoken word. 

The Hair Show marks the first major Couture performance on campus this year.  It is leading up to their major show on April 30, which is a competition against Verge Modeling Troupe and a fundraiser for the Dennis Hale Scholarship.

The show is completely student run.  Therefore, all the styles displayed were created by A &T’s own.  This time around, the fashions were chosen by the models, rather than showcasing local talent, as has been done in past runway shows. 

Model coordinator and stylist, Ricardo Santana explains, “Couture is adding flair and style to the hair show making it more of an original experience. The hairstyle will set off the theme, and from there Couture is adding hot walks and intricate routines to spice it up.”

If you are planning to attend, you can expect to get your money’s worth.  Couture is not one to disappoint.  Its members plan to reclaim their status on campus as the elite modeling organization.  Former Couture member, Ashley Washington assures that the show will be a true experience, “Couture is going to give you what they always give, and that’s greatness,” she says.  “They are very excited to be back and working hard to prove that they are still the best!

They have come back this year with good models, great ideas, and what I call that ‘Couture dedication!’  You are going to see this in their upcoming shows and I am very excited.  I care a lot about Couture Productions being that I was a very dedicated member while at A&T, so I am so glad to see them shaking off haters and getting back to business!

Prepare yourself for new fashions of the season and hot, intricate hairstyles.”

In correlation with the hair show, Alpha Phi Omega also hosted a Locks of Love hair drive.  Anyone interested in donating at least six inches of their hair was welcome to come and participate. 

The hair donations are sent to children, 18 years and younger, who are undergoing therapies that causes chronic hair loss, and thus, temporarily lost their own hair.  “Locks of Love” is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces for children throughout the United States and Canada.

Alpha Phi Omega member, TaKeyia M. Dickens says the motto of the hair drive, ‘Helping each child, one child at a time, find a smile and rebuild self esteem each day,’ is something the service organization strongly supports.  Students were able to take part in a great cause for children and enjoy the always entertaining work of Couture. 

• Jessica Grissom