S.U.A.B. hosts its first outdoor pageant in quad

“Mr. SUAB is outside this year because we wanted to do something

fun and different,” said the Student Union Advisory Board President

Kawanna Foster.

For the first time the Mr. SUAB pageant is outdoors.

“Mr. SUAB is outside this year because we wanted to do something fun and different,” said the Student Union Advisory Board President Kawanna Foster.

There were a few clear implications to having the pageant outside. The forecast was scheduled to rain Tuesday. Also, a lot of students expressed their concerns about seating arrangements. 

“Shifting the Mr. SUAB pageant outside this year is going to be interesting. It may have some people on their feet for a while,” said James Totton, a senior landscape architecture major.

Foster addresses both of these concerns. “There will be chairs outside set up for people to sit and in case it rains we will bring it into Stallings Ballroom,” she said.

However for some students it goes beyond just seating and possible rain. “My preference is that the pageant should be inside to make it more formal. Also I think the audience would be more comfortable because they could sit back, relax and enjoy the show without having outside distractions,” said sophomore computer engineering major Jordan Coles.

The pageant had a “Back to the Future” theme with the young men competing not only for the title of Mr. SUAB but a $400 scholarship as well. It became a scholarship competition last year. “This was to add an incentive for males who wanted to be what we used to call Mr. Aggie.  With Mr. A&T coming into effect we just

wanted our male competition to have a good incentive,” explained Foster.

SUAB Treasurer Trevor Thornton echoed Foster’s sentiments, “I honestly believe the scholarship is a great reward and a great incentive for our contestants to do their best.”

The duties of Mr. & Miss SUAB are to represent the organization and provide community service opportunities.   As many may have noticed, there is no current Miss SUAB – a normally elected position.

“We had several young women run for Miss SUAB during the spring elections and one young lady did win.  However she was not able to serve as Miss SUAB due to personal reasons,” explained SUAB Advisor Nichole Florence.

In a situation such as this it is protocol for the SUAB Executive Board to decide if they would like to appoint someone into that position or hold an election to fill the vacancy.

“We will be electing a Miss SUAB in the spring semester,” said Foster.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @YngBlkandFancy

• Sylvia Obell, Managing Editor