The bad guys never win

The

provocative and violent

remake of 1971

Straw

Dogs was

released Sept. 16. The movie featres X-men star, James Marsden, as

a Hollywood screenwriter named David Sumner and Kate Bosworth as

his wife, Amy Sumner. 

@font-face { font-family: “Arial”; }@font-face { font-family: “Times”; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: “Times New Roman”; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

The provocative and violent remake of 1971 Straw Dogs was released Sept. 16. The movie featres X-men star, James Marsden, as a Hollywood screenwriter named David Sumner and Kate Bosworth as his wife, Amy Sumner. 

This movie also stars Alexander Starsgard as Charlie, the handsome ex-jock and Amys childhood boyfriend; James Woods as Tom Heddon, a former football coach and the loud-mouthed town drunk who instigates the violence; Laz Alonso as the towns sheriff; Drew Powell as Bic; Billy Lush as Chris; Rhys Coiro as Norman, Dominic Purcell as Jeremy Niles, the towns mentally challanged man; and Willa Holand as Janice Heddon.

David Sumner is a conservative, well-educated man who listens to classical music and cant fix a roof or tire. He visits with his wife to her hometown Blackwater, Mississippi. The small town is full of Christian believers who trust everyone that lives there. 

When not being pretentiously polite, Charlie and his friends are usually ill mannered and leer at Davids wife.

Although David tries to adapt to their ways by becoming interested in their hobbies, Charlie becomes excessively jealous of David and begins to take advantage of him.

Amy, caught in between her husband and the people she grew up with, sends Charlie false signals of still wanting him, which leads to Charlie acting inappropriately toward her.

Ultimately, after fighting for his life along with defending his wife and Niles, David becomes the man the town thought he wasnt. He overcomes his polite passive ways when pushed to the limit.

Straw Dogs captivates viewers from beginning to end. I would greatly recommend this movie to viewers who enjoy psychological thrillers.

Straw Dogs deserves an A+ for staying true to the first movie, capturing the audiences attention throughout the picture, and the thrill seeking climax that lead to a shocking and action-packed ending.

This movie is definitely the thriller to see.

Grade- A+

• Alexis White, Contributor