Distracted driving has many consequences

Distracted driving is fast becoming one of the most talked about issues in America. Several states have passed laws intended to combat it; talk show host Oprah Winfrey recently dedicated an entire show to the issue; and auto insurance companies have set up programs to encourage their customers to think long and hard about the consequences of their actions.

Why all the attention? There are some disturbing statistics. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 16 people are killed and more than 1,300 people injured each day in crashes involving a distracted driver. Distracted driving, which includes such activities as using a cell phone, texting, eating, drinking and talking with passengers while behind the wheel, kills more people annually than diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease or influenza according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

In an effort to curb the problem, many states have enacted laws to protect their citizens, such as banning texting while driving, or using graduated driver licensing systems for teen drivers to help raise awareness about the dangers of distracted driving and to keep it from occurring. Drivers caught breaking the rules face fines, and perhaps loss of their license.

But those are minor consequences. As the statistics show, a consequence often faced for driving while distracted is loss of life. On her April 30th show, Oprah Winfrey’s guests included the parents of a young man who lost control of his car, crashed into a tree and died after reaching down to pick up a dropped cell phone. They were joined by the wives left behind after a young man texting and driving lost control of his vehicle and crashed into the car their husbands were in, killing the best friends instantly.

Because the dangers associated with distracted driving are so great, it’s imperative that parents drive home some important teen driver safety messages before handing over the keys.

Many insurance companies offer resources on their websites that make the job easier. Allstate, for example, has a Parent-Teen Driving contract that parents can use to set ground rules. By signing the contract, teen drivers pledge not to speed, to always wear their seatbelts, to limit the number of people in the car with them at all times and to avoid distractions such as talking on cell phones and texting while driving.

Families that can prove they are taking steps to ensure safe driving practices may qualify for discounts on their insurance. So the next time you request auto insurance quotes, be sure to mention the steps you have taken to curb distracted driving. Being responsible has the potential to pay off big.

Courtesy of ARAcontent