Stalkers harass Students on Campus

Public campus safety is not new to scrutiny and media attention with recent exposure to the many dangers resonating throughout college campuses. In particular, on a public campus where people local to the area and others can enter as they please.

Coming into college, female students are regularly reminded to never walk alone and always stay in groups at night. This creates a sense of fear and discomfort for the majority of female students.

There have been instances where females students have been followed by men in cars, who are trying to get their attention. These dangerous situations have happened one too many times to female students at North Carolina A&T.

Just recently a group of freshmen girls encountered a group of grown men posing as alumni. They followed behind the girls on “Bird” scooters yelling vulgar and explicit words.

“ It was definitely an eye-opener,” said Caleyah Gathers, one of the girls who was followed.

“The RA’s and administration told us from day one that the campus is not safe and that we need to be vigilant, but it’s different when we actually witness or experience the things they warned us about.”

“It’s crazy because security is always outside at night but that one night they were nowhere,” said Gather.

This is one of the many stories coming from students about “creeps” loitering around campus.

There is currently a discussion of sexual assault being held on Twitter due to a recent anonymous letter was written by an N.C. A&T student who demanded change in the way sexual assault is addressed on campus. The discussion of campus safety is a conversation needed to be had as well.

According to the National Center for Victims of Crime Stalking Resource Center, the rates of stalking on college campuses are higher than in the general population; similar to the rates of sexual assault.  Eighteen- to 24-year-olds have the highest rate of stalking victimization.

While the rate of stalking for N.C. A&T students are unknown, college students across the nation are dealing with these dangers. The fear is not just being hassled, but what can happen after, and the dangerous, horrible things that can come from being followed.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, says 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence, or stalking in the United States.

While not trying to spark any fear in students, these are real issues and as a student body, the discussion needs to be had. Campus police and security could heighten security around campus but that could lead to other problems in other areas.

I think safety classes and physical defense classes might be essential,” said Gaither.

Solutions to get rid of these late night hasslers and coming together as a school to protect one another is essential for the betterment of our safety. Yes, it’s unfair that as women we have to walk around campus with extra precautions and rules, but for own protection, it’s worth it. Unfortunately, the University Police Department did not respond to our comment.