SPHE celebrates Hispanic culture

The SPHE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) taught

their fellow Aggies a lot about Hispanic culture as well as their

organization at their event, the Hispanic Heritage Celebration.

The SPHE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) taught their fellow Aggies a lot about Hispanic culture as well as their organization at their event, the Hispanic Heritage Celebration. As an attempt to gain more members, SPHE shared with the audience all the great things they have done for the community such as building houses for the unfortunate and mentoring students through their journey  from high school to becoming an Aggie. SPHE, the only Hispanic organization on campus, has achieved great things. They were the chapter of the month in 2007 and 2010.

Sophomore Courtney Boston admits that she did not know SPHE existed however, after all the interesting facts they shared about their organization, “she is eager to get involved, especially with community service part.”

The Hispanic culture was displayed through the variety of foods they served for dinner including platanos (fried plantains), frijoles beans, stuffed hot peppers and more, which the guests seemed to enjoy because it was all gone by the end. The aroma of the ethnic food brought people who were passing by.

After dinner the hosts moved on to talk about statistics dealing with the Hispanic race. By 2050, Hispanics will be a part of the U.S “majority.”

Multicultural events like this bring Aggies and people from the community together and it allows students to learn about cultures other than their own.

“As an international student this even sparked my interest because the cultural diversity, it makes me feel welcomed knowing there are people from other countries on campus also,” said graduate student Dane Gibson.

For entertainment the SPHE invited Mexican Folk dancers which added more spice to the event.  They arrived sporting their cultural costumes performing traditional dances to Hispanic music. The sound of excitement attracted even more people. The dancers encouraged the audience to get up and move. 

Hispanic culture was defined by Ashley Williams, a member of SPHE, as, “when Hispanics from different cultures come together as one, embracing their culture.” With displays around the room from different Hispanic countries that is definitely what SPHE did.

The Hispanic Heritage Celebration was a big success. It was a night of eating, learning, and entertainment.

[email protected] and follow on Twitter @ATRegister

• Raven Davis, Contributor