Timeless: A Glimpse into Royalty

Published October 22, 2014

Kristen ShipleyContributor 

The “Young and Beautiful” of North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University gathered in the Alumni Event Center Sunday Oct. 19 for the Coronation of Mister and Miss A&T, James Bowen II and Jordan Outing.

With a Great Gatsby theme, the event was called Timeless: A Glimpse Into Royalty.

Students, faculty, alumni, family and friends saw the finest of campus royalty, such as the King and Queens of all the organizations on campus were introduced, followed by the officers of Student Government Association and the Mister and Miss for each class.

Former Kings and Queens also attended this event to show their support, including last year’s King and Queen Anthony Fitzhugh and Ambriya Neal, who crowned Bowen and Outing.

One of the highlights of the night, Outing stunned everyone to silence when she appeared in a white gown with a beaded waist and long tulle train, and elaborate jewelry. Bowen donned a royal blue patterned tuxedo jacket fit for a king and classic accessories.

Performers for the night included a spoken word piece by Sauncia Wallace-Williams, interpretive dance by Kelsey Edwards and Jordan Silverthrone and a musical selection by Mariah Allen.

One final performance was by our very own Mister A&T who recited a poem he wrote for his mom. Opening with the Prelude of John Legend’s album Get Lifted, Bowen compared his mother’s love to that of God: “He loves me. A creation of the Creator of creativity. Out of all things he decided to create me, out of lovingness.”

In the special tributes to the King and Queen, family and friends shared their congratulations, appreciation and love for the two of them. In one especially touching tribute, Outing’s grandmother talked about all the crowns “Jordy” has worn and how she has always represented herself and her family with grace and made them very proud. One thing Outing would always say is “Jesus loves you and so do I.”

The night closed out with remarks from SGA president Dorian Davis and the singing of the school Alma Mater. Mister and Miss A&T then got to ride off in a white classic convertible car.

“I am filled with so much joy, and I couldn’t be any happier than to live in this moment,” said Outing.

—Email Kristen at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @perfectlyk