A&T campus police enhance security

Since the Sept. 11 tragedy that shocked the United States ten years ago, North Carolina A&T has made changes within security to enhance campus safety.

The A&T Police Department, headed by Chief Glenn Newell, has taken safety precautions by having more police officers on patrol during the day and night. Everyday generally every part of the campus is covered by a police officer either on foot, bikes, by car, or the most recent addition, by segways.

The university police also works in affiliation with Langford Protective Services, which has also hired more security guards to work on A&T’s campus this year.

“I feel very safe,” Tiffany Carson, sophomore speech pathology major from Durham, said firmly. “I always see police patrolling the campus. Especially late at night when I go to the library.”

Both A&T and Langford security are constantly on guard throughout the dorms 24 hours a day. From 7a.m. to midnight there is always security throughout the classroom buildings, and many security guards patrol the campus at between 9:30 p.m. to the early hours of the morning.

Over the course of ten years, cameras have been installed in all dorms, Williams Dining Hall, Memorial Student Union, Bluford Library, parking decks, the mail center, classroom buildings, and the ticket office.

Gates have also been put on some streets that lead to A&T’s campus to prevent people from entering and leaving through certain parts of the campus.

Newell explained that in case there was a breach in security on campus that can cause danger to students, the university police has what they call the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP) that serves as an all hazard defense plan.

The CEMP explains the different procedures and correct protocol authorities will follow according to the magnitude of each situation.

“Everything goes to dispatch and then comes to us,” said James Poe, one of the new hires from Langford Protective Services. “Once we get the call, we do what we can until the university police gets here.”

A&T also has Aggie Alerts electronically distributed to students to notify them in case of emergency.

In 2010, A&T security implemented a checkpoint at the crossing of Mitchell and Laurel only allowing A&T students with their AggieOne cards to pass through.

“Most of the problems that occur here are from outside of campus, not in,” Poe said.

Chief Newell served on the City University Police Department in New York City prior to coming to A&T in 2008.

Newell also served on Ground Zero in the Emergency Operation Center for two months after Sept. 11.

“One of the many things I learned from Sept. 11 was the importance of being prepared which is why we constantly have trainings.”

• Karmen Robinson,Sports Editor