“Gravity” rises to the Occasion in box offices

“Life in space is impossible.” The film “Gravity” has several phenomenal components that make it an excellent film. The film begins with a group that has already been in space for a week and is on their last assignment for the mission.

Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is an intense character that is played by the smooth Matt Kowalski (George Clooney.) It is Dr. Ryan Stone’s first time outside of a simulated environment, but Kowalski is a veteran. In the middle of some routine work on the shuttle, a storm of debris from a Russian spacecraft causes it to go wrong.

The director Alfonso Cuarón does a wonderful job at using cinematography to make a minimalists plot come to life. The movie is definitely worth a view. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. Watching the film in 3D will also put you right in the middle of it all. Cuarón uses the musical score and other sound aspects to convey emotion.

The “point of view” shots are great, and put viewers in the middle of the action as Dr. Stone struggles to survive in space. “Gravity” has been highly acclaimed. Its current rating on Imdb.com is an 8.7 out of 10. Director James Cameron most recently known for “Avatar” has gone on to say that “Gravity” is “the best space film ever made.”

The scenery  is remarkable. Simply put, the movie is nearly perfect because it has all the components you want a great film to have. “Gravity” is no doubt an Oscar contender and should see several nominations. Bullock’s acting was marvelous, but the storyline leaves much to be desired, especially at the end.

Dr. Stone sees challenges and triumphs that draw viewers in but the story does lack closure. This is not necessarily a weakness, but it may matter for some. Those who are looking for a more action packed science fiction experience will not get that, but the movie is a heart-racing drama. Viewers have to be able to appreciate that the director uses minimal scenery, minimal characters and a very thin plotline to illustrate and capture the isolation of outer space.

“Gravity” will have to compete with other films being released later this year like the highly anticipated “Captain Phillips,” starring Tom Hanks based on the story of the Somali pirates. The two films should see some nominations in the same categories.

— Email Danielle at  [email protected]  and follow The A&T Register on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Danielle Fuller, Contributor