Aggies get ‘Fired Up’ marching downtown

Students gathered around the A&T Four statue in preparation

for the march downtown to vote for the next city council at 2 p.m.

on Oct 26.

Students gathered around the A&T Four statue in preparation for the march downtown to vote for the next city council at 2 p.m. on Oct 26.

Although it was a fairly small crowd, students from A&T, Bennett College, and UNCG were in attendance.

As students distributed voter registration forms and pins, two of the candidates, Wayne Abraham and Jim Kee, were among the crowd sharing their political agendas if elected.

Abraham, a candidate for Greensboro City Council At Large, came out before the walk began to express to students how important voting is in order to create change.

Abraham said, “It’s tremendously important for people under 30 to vote. They are the ones that will help the change in 2011 and make it better in 2012.”

Kee, who is running for District 2 for the Greensboro City Council, made it clear that he is an Aggie.

He said his goal is to not only make Aggies vote but give them that step to make the laws.

Kee recently created the first ever internship with the Greensboro City Council where a student from A&T and Bennett College will gain knowledge of the local political system and expand their resumes to excel in their future careers.

The representative from A&T, a senior economics major Greg Hill, is also the CEO of JoinMe and the leader of this march.

This vote will affect everyone in Greensboro because it is a citywide election.

Greensboro is voting for people who will be directing what is going on in the community.

Keisha Liburd, freshman fashion design and merchandising student said, “It’s important to be involved in the community and as freshman this is my first time voting and JoinMe is helping more students like myself get that chance.”

Ronald Griswell, junior business management student, said that he called out of work for this march.

“I’m losing money right now because I’m going down to polls to vote. This needs to be something done more around our communities and HBCUs. People are not putting the attention towards voting that it needs to be and I am proud to be a part of something like this right now,” said Griswell.

“Fired up, ready to go” was the chant that brought the students to the end of the walk at the Guilford Court House to vote.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Jennell McMillian, Contributor