Speaker inspire students to look in family history

Rachel Swarns discussed her book about Michelle Obama’s ancestors with professors and students at N.C.A&T.

A little over 50 seats were filled as attention was focused on Melvinia, the great-great-great-grandmother of Michelle Obama. An inherited slave to the Shields, Melvinia had relations with her owner’s son, which led to the rich history of Michelle Obama.

Swarns’ has been a reporter for the New York Times since 1995.

After writing a brief article about Obama’s ancestral history for the Times in 2009, she was approached by HarperCollins Publishers to write a book that delved deeper into Obama’s family history.

Because Swarns felt that Obama’s story was so rich, after initially saying no, she decided to accept the challenge.

Her book is entitled “American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama.”Swarns said that she hopes her book will inspire people to look into their own family history.

Regarding Obama she said, “Her story really was the story of this country.” It showed that through the five generations, slavery to the white house, we are all connected as a people.

Caresse Hansen, a senior computer science student from Greensboro, found this presentation to be refreshing in the time taken to bridge the gap between generations of one family that was so dispersed.

It was also interesting to her that Swarns was able to obtain so much information through research.

Swarns’ work was inspirational to Hansen as she said, “The youth sometimes forget about family and where they came from. It is important to connect with that part of you because you can’t really move forward until you know where you’ve been.” Hansen continued, “To see how your family dynamics have changed overtime, and how it has affected you, is important to look at when trying to better yourself.”

Swarns said she hopes her book will inspire people to talk to the family elders i to find out about their families history. She also said, “We have remarkable stories and remarkable people in all of our families.”

Dr. Beverly Grier, Professor of Liberal Studies and Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, was particularly interested in Swarns’ research methods. The grave digging, DNA testing and visiting of new- found family members really appealed to her. Dr. Grier said, “the book shows her in more of her complexity.”Dr. Grier could not help but wonder if this book would change the views of those who fit Michelle Obama into the stereotypes of black women and look at her as a liability to President Obama. She said the presentation was fitting for students because, “It is important for students to be reminded of the complexity of race in this country.”

Swarns understands the complexity of this country. While visiting Greensboro for a conference, she took the time out to visit the city’s court house to do some digging into her own family. Swarns found records from the 1870’s revealing that her great-great-great grandfather once owned land here.

As a Howard University graduate, Swarns said she has benefited greatly from a historically black college and whenever she can give back in some way, she tries to do that. That is why Swarns choose to visit North Carolina A&T while she was in town. Her book is on sale now at major retailers.

• Kimberly Fields, Contributor