So what’s wrong with us?

As the first installment of its series entitled Re Up: Taking Our Power Back, the N.C. A&T collegiate chapter of the NAACP hosted the program ‘What’s Wrong With Us?’

Sasasha Fleming, collegiate chapter’s committee chairperson and sophomore marketing major from Washington, D.C. explained, “the series is centered around on politics, love, health, and being united.”

“If we take these issues at hand, we can become better as a people,” she added.

Jasmine Hooks, senior English creative writing major from Raleigh, explained the problem in the African American community is multifaceted.

“We are existing in a system of oppression..We have become content with being discontented.”

She explained the African American community must educate themselves to realize they are “a powerful people.”

Members of the panel were one accord as each agreed the African American community’s current state cannot be blamed solely on individuals or the system because it is a result of both.

With negative images of African Americans portrayed on television, people believe the media’s representation of blacks has worsened over the years.

Vice President of Internal Affairs Canisha Turner, junior agricultural business major from Waverly Va. highlighted that people on television are paid to act a certain way and that reality television is not real.

“We have to distinguish what’s real and what’s the job,” she said. Turner also emphasized positive media noting Michelle Obama as someone who has something beneficial to offer the African American society.

Panelist Wesley Morris, community organizer and A&T alumni from Raleigh, stressed the importance of thinking for oneself. He explained individuals must grow, “the ability to develop independent thinking.”

He continued, referencing the lack of connectivity between people today.

Morris expressed people seem more connected with celebrities in media than those they encounter on a regular basis and said, “We’re so far away from some people [we] ascribe to.”

He further suggested people get closer to individuals they actually live with.

During the program, a murmur arose among the crowd after the claim that African Americans may feel inferior to Whites.

Citing W.E.B. DuBois’ Souls of Black Folk, Hooks explained how African Americans feel caught between being American and African American- a concept DuBois termed double-consciousness.

Morris referenced Assata Shakur, Tupac Shakur and SistaSoulja in his answer. He explained freedom as an internal manner determined by an individual’s mindset and the choices he or she makes.

“You may never get there but you grow to freedom,” said Morris, stressing that freedom is not necessarily concrete or finite, but a state of being one must grow toward.

The final questions were, “How can we get back on our throne? How can we be the best we can be.”

“I am my brother’s keeper,” Hooks said, wanting audience members to remember to help others because the African American community must become a collectivistic culture in order to succeed as a unit.

Before closing, the floor was opened for audience members to express their thoughts about the program.

“I think it went well. It was refreshing to see so many people interested,” Fleming said.

“I thought [the program] was amazing. I think it was very diverse in the answers. It was also very enlightening,” said sophomore Ivy Ferrell, a political science major from Raleigh.

Another student, junior Gabrielle Cole, general economics major also from Raleigh stated, “It was very eye opening. We can’t change everything at once, but we can take one step at a time.”

Gerald Spates, faculty advisor for A&T’s chapter of NAACP, said, “I was very impressed. I feel it’s important to raise awareness on societal issues. These are the kinds of programs I want to see them do on a continuous basis.”

[email protected] and follow us @ATRegister on Twitter

• Justine riddick Copy Desk Chief