JOMC Student Produces

By: Jasmine Forte:

Jasmine Simmons wanted to produce a show that would allow her to showcase young African Americans in a positive and productive light.  She wanted a way for young African Americans to take back their identity and show the world how bright, bold and beautiful we are as a people. Hence her show, Spotlight was created.

Simmons is a junior Journalism and Mass Communications student at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. She is a member of the student chapter of The National association of Black Journalist and apart of Tau Sigma Honor Society.  When she decided to pursue her dream of creating her own show, she knew there would be obstacles.  Her biggest challenge has been finding a dependable and reasonably priced camera operator.

Although she has met some challenges, Simmons wants her audience to remember, “to take away is no matter what you are faced with as long as you have a vision and are determined make your dream come true. In life I see a lot of people settle because they feel like their dreams are unreachable. As long as you peruse your passion anything is possible. Don’t let negative statistic get you down, don’t become a stereotype, follow your heart and be yourself.”

She ultimately wanted to showcase her talents in mass communications by creating a show that highlights the talents of,” several young African Americans who are entrepreneurs and my show is a way to display their talent by using my own.”

Simmons promotes her show through social media and Spotlight’s official Instagram page is __Spotlight__ .  The official Facebook page is  www.facebook.com/Spotlightforyounc

Having spent the summer filming and editing interviews, Simmons says,” those looking forward to watch episodes of Spotlight should anticipate the release of the first episode in early September.”

Hoping to inspire other aggies, Simmons believes,” the best advice I could give to anyone is never give up. I have had moments where I thought I couldn’t do it and have gotten discouraged due to life. I have wanted to give up but as soon as I feel that way God shows me a sign that I am on the right track. Being a television personality has been a lifelong dream of mine and I will not stop until my dreams come true.”