Symposium gear Aggies to go green

“If you don’t want to touch it then don’t put it in your

recycling bin; it’s plain and simple,” said John Hylton, senior

biological engineering student, at the fall symposium on Nov.

3.

“If you don’t want to touch it then don’t put it in your recycling bin; it’s plain and simple,” said John Hylton, senior biological engineering student, at the fall symposium on Nov. 3.

Members of A&T’s American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) hosted the event to discuss ways to make Greensboro a greener community.

The fall symposium is geared to show that new events or plans are in the making for a sustainable community. Speakers ranged from students to professionals.

The presenters were Elaine Stover of Green Schemes; Joseph Frierson of Beloved Community Center; Reyes, a biological engineering professor at A&T; and John Hylton.

Despite the small turnout, students remained engaged with each presenter providing questions and ways to network with their specific organizations.

Stover used her poster to demonstrate Green Schemes and the purpose of the organization.

This organization uses three components of human ecology, ecological design and participatory design to restore ecological balance and human connection in the environment.

This organization been successful throughout the years and is now beginning to help the city of Greensboro.

The next presenter was Frierson. He stated the benefits of growing a garden and the ways it is used for many homeless people who come to the center.

Beloved Community Center decided to make a sustainable community garden in order to allow homeless people a way to show their potential and the work that can be done to be build up this community.

Beloved is an agent for positive and social change and in order to facilitate the city of Greensboro people have to become more engaged.

Reyes’ goal for the symposium and practice is to enhance urban sustainability through the practice of natuculture.

Natuculture is any human made system that mimics nature in human disturbed landscapes.

Next year, A&T will be the co-chair in the 3rd Conservation Agriculture Conference in Pattaya, Thailand under the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Soil and Water Association on May 14-18, 2012.

This is an opportunity for students to bring technology to Southeast Asia in a time where it is much needed.

Many students under the leadership of Dr. Reyes such as Naysa Sturdivant, a junior biological engineering student, believed, “[this]symposium connects back to the community and what is going on around campus and city of Greensboro like the green roof in Stockwell hall and the garden to go green.”

Hylton, an alumnus of A&T, was last to come to the front but still had one of the most important messages for students around campus.

“A clean environment starts with knowing the do’s and don’ts of recycling,” said Hylton.

Many people throw anything into their recycle bins without understanding the danger that it can cause.

Batteries, electronics and oils like antifreeze should not be thrown into recycle bins.

These items are household hazardous and should be taken to the nearest Ecolab.

The first thing to remember is the three R’s: reduce, reuse, recycle.

The best thing to do is reuse items before recycling. Recyclable plastics will only get recycled once and then it will join other garbage in a landfill.

It is better to not generate trash but find alternatives like reusing bottles.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Jenell McMillion, Contributor