Omegas celebrate100 years of brotherhood

The men of the Mu Psi chapter of Omega Psi Phi will join the

ranks of two other historically black Greek organizations as they

celebrate their centennial on Thursday.

The men of the Mu Psi chapter of Omega Psi Phi will join the ranks of two other historically black Greek organizations as they celebrate their centennial on Thursday.

“To celebrate 100 years is a milestone,” said chapter president Derrick Bradshaw. “This is a big deal, especially with the impact we have on the community.”

Come Thursday, the Omegas will be among Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. who celebrated 100 years in 2006, 2008 and 2011 respectively.

Omega Psi Phi was founded on Nov. 17, 1911 on the campus of Howard University with a mission to promote manhood, scholarship, unity, and perseverance. Although their centennial does not take place until Thursday, the national chapter hosted its centennial celebration in Washington D.C. in July.

For Mu Psi, this has been a week of celebration. They have hosted a series of programs around N.C. A&T’s campus that will conclude with their Founder’s Day program on Thursday in Webb Auditorium.

“We hope our programs will uplift and make someone become a better person,” said chapter advisor Marc Williams.

Williams says he is more than happy to celebrate this milestone event at A&T.

“This means a lot to me,” he said. “We have served a vital purpose making sure we have African-Americans who are educated and socially active. I know we will be around to celebrate several hundred years.”

The Mu Psi chapter was charted on Mar. 27, 1927 at A&T. Their presence has been seen and heard throughout campus through buildings dedicated to their members.

Gibbs Hall, which houses the sociology, criminology, and political science departments, was named for Warmouth T. Gibbs, a charter member for Mu Psi.

McNair Hall, which houses to the college of engineering is named after Ronald McNair, a Mu Psi initiate and NASA astronaut who died during the launch of the Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986.

“Mu Psi’s impact on campus is tremendous,” said Bradshaw. “It’s great to see our chapter have a hand in building this school.”

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie C. McCrae, Editor-in-Chief