Tips to changing a flat tire

Flat tires can happen at any time and anywhere – you may run over some construction debris while in the middle of a swirling intersection of highways in a large metropolis, or catch a screw out in the middle of nowhere. Either way, when you hear a loud flopping sound and possibly feel a slight tug on the steering wheel, you know you’re not going very much further without replacing a tire.

If your car is stocked with the appropriate car tools needed to replace a flat, then find a safe, level space to pull over to the side of the road so you’re not blocking traffic. You may also want to consider signing up for a roadside assistance program through your insurance company.

Read your owner’s manual for specific directions on how to change a flat tire for your vehicle, including where to put the car jack. Get your spare tire out, remove the hubcap, loosen the lug nuts from the flat tire (don’t remove them yet) and block the tire directly opposite your flat so your car won’t accidentally roll.

Using the car jack, lift the car high enough so the tire is free from the ground. Remove the lug nuts at this time, pull the wheel off, and set it aside. Put on your spare tire, and thread the lug nuts back on, hand tightening them.

Gently lower your car back to the ground, and remove the jack. Using a lug wrench, tighten all of the lug nuts. Replace the hub cap, and put all your tools, and the damaged tire into your car before safely driving away.

Changing a flat tire does take some time, and you want to make sure your car is safely out of traffic before you start.

Since you will never know when a flat tire might happen on your car, it’s a good idea to have car emergency supplies available at all times, so you can be prepared for any emergency situation.