An underground battle of the minds

The fight club

is an open space where every Thursday night, students and faculty

alike can close their books, loosen their ties and discuss

subversive and radical ideals through dialogue and

argumentation.

The fight club is an open space where every Thursday night, students and faculty alike can close their books, loosen their ties and discuss subversive and radical ideals through dialogue and argumentation.

In a regular classroom setting, students cannot freely express thoughts against mainstream issues without hostile or negative reaction, whereas the fight club promotes individuals to challenge mainstream principals and not just take them for face value. According to a handout written by co-founder and grad student D. Noble, the club “operates from a premise that society itself is inherently corrupt…which is why society and it’s attachments to race, sex and capitalism should be confronted to prevent students from…becoming agents of their own oppression.”

The fights begin with someone coming to the board and writing down an argument they want to discuss. Subject matter can deal with, but not limited to, race, aggression, justice for African Americans, hip hop, athletics and/or events that have recently taken place. After the argument is written, the person then reads their claim aloud thus welcoming all challengers to come to the board and present a counter argument. The fight remains a two person debate until another person has a counter argument, if any. After a few minutes of persistent dialogue, the club director Dr. Sims, psychology professor, takes a vote to articulate who won. Finally the floor is opened for any other comments or remarks on the subject before moving onto the next topic.

“The fight club was…an underground meeting because of the controversial topics discussed. You could only attend a meeting if you knew someone in the club,: Sims explains. It originally began as a community initiative of the first annual Dialogue on Progressive Enlightenment (DOPE) conference in the spring of 2010. Individuals wanted a free space where they could openly talk about issues they felt needed to be brought to light. Although the club is still not an official university organization, that doesn’t stop the many people who come to participate. In the past year, the club has opened its doors and students from UNCG, community members and even A&T’s groundskeepers come to be a part of these meetings. Occasionally students will even skype in from the University of Michigan.

Certainly the fight club is bringing something unique to their meetings that keep so many individuals involved and anxious to return. Most enjoy it because of the freedom to discuss unconventional matters. Shayla Mason, Junior English major, said, “I like that we can be free to express any idea and that you see things from a different angle…but if your close minded or easily offended, then this club isn’t for you.”

Also because the subject matters are very relatable to many A&T students, this club can be seen as a medium for radical change within the campus community. “The sheer nature of the topics that we’re discussing are subversive to mainstream thoughts…these are not matters that are readily accessible via mainstream news nor facebook, twitter or even through generic conversations among students. We should question what are the possibilities, how did it get this way and how could we change it not just accept ‘it is what it is’,” said Noble.

The fight club reinforces artistic and intellectual ideas that defy the norm while also forcing participants to be knowledgeable and to be precise and clear when making an argument. If you are interested in joining the club then come with a topic or the voice to challenge a topic. The fight club meets every Thursday at 7pm in the new science building in room 237. The club, along with Dr. Sims, welcomes all but also states that he’s more concerned with “folks who are passionate and interested in progressive development and not just packing people; it’s not the numbers that make fight club dope, it’s the dialogue.”

• U’Leasa Joseph, Contributor