Terrence J. shows up and sets owt

Close to 900 Aggies attended Terrence J’s recent campus visit.

The Student University Activities Board and the vice president of external affairs, Chris Wade brought “Think Like A Man” to the campus of A&T last Thursday,

Terrence J, host of BET’s 106 & Park and A&T alumnus, along with Will “Power” Packer, producer of “Think Like a Man,” “Taken,” “Stomp the Yard” and “Obsessed,” came to campus to promote their new movie inspired by Stevie Harvey’s book, “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.”

Before the big pep rally in Harrison Auditorium, Terrence J and Packer gave a press conference to explain the concept of the movie.

“This film is going to change your ideas about love,” Terrence J said.

“It is the best love story of our generation. A level of decorum has been snatched away from women and this film will re-establish itself. It will make men open the door and pull out the chair for you. Men will love this because it’s comical and learn a lot of game. It’s not only a funny movie but an educational movie.”

Terrence J’s character is classified as a “mama’s boy.”

While trying to find a long-term relationship and having great qualities, he puts his mother before any other person. In the movie, Terrence J’s character struggles to see whether his mother or girlfriend should be his leading lady.

Packer also urged the importance of packing out theaters on the day of release. “We don’t realize the power we have in Hollywood. It’s a collective effort to make this movie a success. We need you all to do it.”

Terrence J tenure here at A&T, he started his career off in the WNAA 90.1 FM when it was located in Price Hall and he felt overwhelmed when walking into the new facility. He also was a former SGA president and he explained his transition from college life to New York for other students. 

“I was really poor and really desperate. I was sleeping on a basement couch. When you go to a black college, you go through things. Out in New York though, it was me against the world. It was so many people telling me ‘no.’ When I first auditioned for 106 & Park, they told me no to my face. I had to drive from New York to Los Angeles to get the part. You have to keep the hunger.”

Around 1:30, students and the two stars of the movie arrived at Harrison for the pep rally.

Verge Modeling Troupe, Aggie Cheerleaders, Aggie Live Wires, and Greek Strolls opened the rally.

To bring out the stars, the Beta Epsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. opened for Packer and the Mu Psi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi opened for their own Terrence J. They both hyped the crowd by dancing, throwing out giveaways and expressing the importance of promoting the movie. The band closed out the show.

Later that night, few Aggies were given the opportunity to view the movie.

Packer and Terrence J came to the theater to introduce the movie and urge student to go see the movie again.

My reveiw:

Kevin Hart gave the movie its comical appeal. Something funny was either said or done every moment of the movie. Without his character, the movie would have failed

The movie also had its dramatic points with the different situations of heartbreak and deception occurring. Everyone has a character he or she could relate to.

There was the mama’s boy, the single mother, the immature man and his complacent girldfriend, the successful woman and her lower-paid boyfriend, and sex-crazed man and his newly celibate date.

The characters went through different relationship situations that discussed the do’s and do not’s on how to keep man. Some made wise decisions and other failed.

The movie was an overall learning experience. Ladies learned how to keep a man and men saw how they should treat a lady.

Everyone gave the movie a round of applause when it was over. This movie is highly recommended.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Necole Jackson, Register Reporter