Union renovations on to the next step

Construction for the new Memorial Student Union will begin Sept. of 2014. All occupants of the current union will move out of the building in May of 2014. The new student union project is expected to be completed July of 2017 by Vines Architecture. The estimated cost for the new student union is about $90 million. Further communication concerning the budget is currently taking place.  

Many students who are aware of the plans for the new student union project seem to be concerned with where the funds will be pulled from to meet the $90 million projection. Carl Barker, executive director of the memorial student union says, “It is my understanding that we are talking with a consultant to look at a feasibility plan to determine the best avenue to take in regards to funding. Of course, student fees will be a part of that plan. This is a common model across the State.”

Michael Diggs, Senior accounting major says, “ $90 million is a lot but it does not seem like a bad deal. Pulling the money from tuition makes sense because of the benefits the new union will bring and the money it will save the students by having certain amenities on campus”

The renovated union will extend from its current location to Cooper Hall. It will include 2 dining halls, one of which will remain the Sit-in, and will include a larger selection of restaurants. It will also consist of an indoor theater as well as outdoor theatre. There will be smart rooms/meetings rooms for student use. A new game room will be built, and there has even been talk of an eight to 10 lane bowling alley that will be located in the basement of the renovated student union. The renovated memorial student union will be a more comfortable, exciting and convenient place in all aspects. For example, there will be charging docks on all levels of the building for mobile phones and other electronic devices.

There is currently an informational wall of future designs for the project located in the back of the current union. A list of amenities that the new union will include with pictures and layouts of what the completed project will look like.

Abria Cain, Junior sociology major, feels improving the campus in different ways is important. Improving the place where we eat, hang out and chill will be influential on the student body in a positive way.

The current student body at A&T most likely will not reap the benefits of the new changes to the student union due to its completion date which is set after the freshmen class graduates.  However, some students still look forward to returning as alumni and getting a look at the future “campus gem.”

“I look forward to coming back to visit the new union as an alumni. For the amount of tuition we pay the union should be bigger with more variety,” said Marquez Sanders, sophmore criminal justice major.

• Courtney Matthews, Asst. Online Editor