Would your kids know what to do in the event of a road trip emergency?

When you set out on a family road trip, running into trouble is the last thing on your mind. Accidents can happen, however, so it’s important that you have an emergency plan in place before you leave the driveway.

A good place to begin is by having a conversation with your children about what they should do in the event of an emergency. While your toddler probably couldn’t render much help, children as young as 4 have been in the headlines repeatedly over the years for saving a life through the simple act of dialing 9-1-1.

Be sure your children know that if the vehicle they are riding in gets into an accident, the first thing they should do is make sure someone dials 9-1-1. If your child ends up being the one placing the call, he should be able to provide the 9-1-1 operator with his full name and address, who he is with and who to call in an emergency. It may be a family member not in the car, a grandparent, a neighbor or close family friend. Also make sure your child knows she should stay close to the vehicle while waiting for help to arrive, and not wander away.

Getting the kids involved in actually putting together an emergency kit to be stored in the back seat or trunk is another good way to keep safety top-of-mind. Here are 14 essentials to bring along: a first aid kit that includes bandages, sterile gauze, latex gloves, instant cold packs and a thermometer; sunscreen; triangle reflectors; flares; a tool box that includes a flat-head screw driver, a Phillips-head screw driver, pliers and an adjustable wrench; duct tape; jumper cables that are at least 10 feet long; spare fuses; work gloves; rags; a funnel; a flashlight with batteries; and a blanket.

And finally, before heading out on a road trip, it’s always a good idea to seek auto insurance quotes to make sure you have adequate car insurance coverage. No one wants to be caught off guard in the event of an accident or breakdown, especially if the incident occurs far from home. It’s easy to obtain free car insurance quotes online any time of the day or night. The majority of companies offer this service at the customer’s convenience these days.