Students march to the polls

The legacy of student activism on N.C. A&T’s campus

continues to progress with JoinMe at the Polls.

The legacy of student activism on N.C. A&T’s campus continues to progress with JoinMe at the Polls.

Today, JoinMe Entertainment along with various campus organizations will walk to the downtown courthouse where marchers can then go to vote for the local election.

The march was put in place to tackle low student voter turnout. “The year before last, less than one percent of students voted in the municipal elections,” said Greg Hill, senior economics major and the current CEO of JoinMe. “Last year we increased that number to 800, and this year we are striving for 1,500 plus.” With marching sites comprised of people from A&T, UNCG, Bennett College and

Guilford College, the goal of 1,500 student votes seems quite attainable.

JoinMe Entertainment, a company that started three years ago, is well known for the diverse events and parties it hosts. But beyond just entertainment, the company has plunged readily into the political realm and plans to continue making a difference and hopefully make history.

Many people focus solely on the presidential elections and tend to neglect the importance of municipal elections; JoinMe is working to change that disposition. “We are trying to raise awareness of the 2011 municipal elections and trying to show both the collegiate community and Greensboro community how this election affects them,” said Mitchell Brown, senior business economics major and member of the JoinMe team.

“Voting needs to become a behavior and we are simply assisting in the creation of such a behavior.” Although numbers indicate that students do not realize (or simply do not care about) the significance of these elections, some students are passionate about the issue. Jalisa Oshunsanya, a sophomore supply chain management major, will be voting in the municipal elections for the first time today.

“I just turned 18 so I’m finally able to vote,” she said. “These are the elections that affect students directly. Some representatives may not even care about the students and some of them do not think students will even vote. This is our opportunity to prove them wrong, take action, and allow our voices to be heard.”

Not only are students asked to participate in the event, but the invitation is extended to members of the Greensboro community as well. There will be a rally held in Governmental Plaza with a DJ, a few performers, and student leaders speaking on the importance of voting. “JoinMe brings a lot of students together,” continued Oshunsanya, another member of the company. “Over the past couple weeks I helped register over 15 students to vote, and as a whole JoinMe have registered hundreds of students.”

Christin Marshall, a junior computer science major from DC, expressed how she felt about voting in Greensboro although she is only a temporary resident. “Even though this might not be our native town, everything that happens here still affects us,” she said. “It is important to know what is going on, to be involved, and to let your voice be heard.”

On Feb. 1, 1960, four students were able to incite the civil rights movement and make a major impact within society by simply taking a seat. Today students of Greensboro will be making a difference of their own by accompanying JoinMe at the polls. For more information on JoinMe Entertainment news and events, visit www.joinmeent.com

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Helesee Scott, Contributor