SGA minus VPEA

Ryan Marcus, who was voted the 2012-2013 vice president of external affairs for the Student Government Association, has resigned from office the first week of the academic school year.

At the beginning of the 2012 fall semester, it was discovered that Marcus did not meet all the criteria required by the elections committee and the student handbook to be in an SGA position, according to Melody C. Pierce, vice chancellor for student affairs.

He tried to appeal the decision, but his attempts failed.

As a result, he was forced to step down and the position will be put back on the ballot.

On Aug. 16, Marcus publicly announced via social network that he would no longer serve as the student body’s VPEA.

“Although not being VPEA is unfortunate news, as of right now I have to concentrate on my studies to graduate on time because I’m a student first. That has been my number one goal since I arrived at A&T,” said Marcus.

Jasmine McInnis, adviser to the SGA who has been involved with the executive branch for the past 11 years, explained no member of the executive branch of the SGA has voluntarily resigned or been forced to step down from office this early in the school year while he worked alongside the executive board.

“I was shocked,” said Allahquan Tate, SGA president. Tate along with other members of the S.G.A executive board were notified of the news Monday, Aug. 13, just two days before classes began. “It hasn’t [negatively affected us],” said Tate. ”He worked hard over the summer. The new person is just going to be tasked [with upholding] the expectations that Mr. Marcus has set.”

During the summer, Marcus already began to fulfill some of his duties as VPEA, including selecting the homecoming line-up, which will be announced to students at the end of the month.

“The goals that he set out will come to fruition, and we’re still here to keep the students first.”

Not only will students be electing an attorney general because no one ran for the position in the spring, but now they will also be electing a new VPEA.

• Karmen Robinson, managing editor