What your teen needs to know about car insurance

As soon as your son blows out the candles on his 16th birthday cake, you’re being asked for the car keys. Or maybe he’s already out the door, and driving down the road in his own vehicle.

You have two years left before he turns 18, becomes a legal adult and might have to start paying auto insurance on his own. Since you’ve been guiding him in life’s lessons not taught in the classroom, don’t miss out on educating him about car insurance. Here are some tips to pass on about selecting insurance and finding potential discounts:

* A car with a higher safety rating can help keep auto insurance premiums down, according to Allstate. If your teenager hasn’t purchased a car, discuss with him the benefits of owning a car with a higher rating. Some of the features to review include anti-lock breaks, an anti-theft system and airbags or factory-installed motorized seatbelts.

* Taking driver safety courses can also help reduce premiums. Encourage your teen to look for a state-approved teen driver safety course in the area, not only to help with insurance, but also to refresh his drivers’ training and give you more peace-of-mind.

* Auto insurance is like a safety net, and it doesn’t necessarily pay to skimp. Talk with your son or daughter about important factors like liability coverage, in case they were to cause a crash; medical payments coverage, if expensive medical treatment is needed and underinsured/uninsured coverage, which covers them if the other driver in a crash has little or no insurance and damages your teen’s car or injures someone in it.

* Good driving habits typically result in a clean driving record, which also can help reduce auto insurance quotes. Having a clean record for three years can reward you with a lower rate, according to Allstate.

* Maintaining good grades also can result in better insurance rates. If your teenager is single and a full-time student, lower insurance payments could be a good incentive for maintaining a great GPA.

When you pass on these little life lessons, you’re giving your teenager a head start on being an adult and balancing safety with good money management. Hopefully someday, he’ll give you a hug and say “thanks.”

Courtesy of ARAcontent