Trivia game shows students know history

The student union advisory board hosted its third annual “Think

Fast” Black History Trivia Game.

The student union advisory board hosted its third annual “Think Fast” Black History Trivia Game.

On Feb. 2, many students flooded Stallings Ballroom in hopes of receiving the $500 grand prize offered to the winner. Students had the option of teaming up or playing solo to compete against one another. Miniature wireless keypads were given to each person/team. Each keypad had a team title. I had the chance to participate in the competition and my team name was “The Pistons.” Upon entrance, tension rose throughout the room as students shouted frantically in hopes of their team taking the number one spot.

The competition was divided into three multiple-choice rounds, two wild card, and the final. After each multiple-choice round, a wild card round came into play. Five students were selected to compete in a challenge of either singing, dancing, or telling a joke. Junior, fashion merchandising major, Brenita Proctor was one of the wild card contestants. “I had so much fun singing ‘Resentment’ by Beyonce,” she said. “I really enjoyed the competition.” Staphon Snelling, a special education student, described his night as a “fun experience while learning something new.” “Tonight was awesome. I learned a lot of facts that I did not know tonight. I came to a realization that I need to learn more about my history, whether it be from the past or now.”

The final round replicated a game off of the television show Jeopardy. In front of the room stood four, brightly lit podiums sitting on top of a stage. Each podium was equipped with a neon lit scoreboard that tallied up each of the finalist’s points, and a buzzer for them to buzz their answers in. There were four students to compete in the final round, each stood tall in hopes of winning the $500 grand prize. The game suddenly got very intense, the questions became harder, and the crowd grew louder as the finalists answered each question.

Of those four finalists, one came out victorious. Junior, Frank Foster swept the scoreboard with a total of 700 points and was deemed winner of the game. Dominating the game, Foster buzzed in each answer before the host could even finish asking the question. He stood poised, stating each answer with a sense of quickness and confidence. Foster says he was confident in his win citing, “it was expected. I came in confident. I knew I was going to win.” Foster plans on splitting his winnings up with his four teammates, who aided him on his journey to taking the top spot in the game.

The “Think Fast” Black History Trivia Game is one of many programs hosted by SUAB. When asked if Think Fast would be making another appearance on campus next February, vice president of SUAB, Bryan Keller responded, “Of course! The students loved it, why not?” Think Fast is popular among the nation, touring too many different colleges and attracting new crowds each day.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Shawn Jackson, Contributor