Luckett sings her heART n Soul for Aggies

Aggies filled Harrison Auditorium to witness the Art ‘N Soul event that was hosted by the Student University Advisory Board.

This event included various performances, all in the form of art. Our very own Miss A&T, Jasmine Gurley and alumnus Darren Brand kept the audience entertained with their hosting talents.

Three young ladies who are part of the poetry group PoetShe performed three different pieces, all evoking emotion from the crowd, including a standing ovation.

Verge Modeling Troupe also performed a modeling segment. A majority male dance group with the exception of one female dancer named Indigo, danced to numerous songs, showing their dancing skills.

One of the final opening acts was one of the crowd’s favorites, Grand Trilogy. This group featured both poets and a singer performing about two guys trying to win the attention of their dream girl.

All of these opening acts were scheduled to get the audience prepared for the headliner, R&B singer Letoya Luckett.

As many may know, Luckett gained her celebrity as an original member for the superstar group Destiny’s Child. She then went on to become a successful solo artist.

Though she had a few hit singles, it has been a while since her fans has heard anything from her in recent years.

With her last hits being “Regret” featuring rapper Ludacris, and “She Aint Got…” some fans were wondering what she may perform at the Art ‘N Soul showcase.

When I asked Luckett what her favorite songs to perform was, with no hesitation she replied, “it’s definetly “Regret.” That’s because it comes from a personal experience, and all my ladies seem to really relate to that song.”

When Luckett came out to perform, she had the crowd’s full attention, with the guy’s admiring what they were seeing, and the ladies singing every word to her songs.

The songs that she performed included her hits “Not Anymore,” “Torn,” and her favorite song to perform “Regret.”

Luckett and her DJ also kept the crowd entertained with playing current radio hits. Luckett seemed to be having fun with dancing along with the audience. She even got intimate on a couple of songs with serenading various guys in the crowd.

Overall, the event was deemed successful with Harrison having a lot of their seats filled, and with the crowd singing every word to Letoya’s songs, and even giving standing ovations to some of the opening acts.

When I asked Luckett how important she felt it was for strong female singers to make appearances at HBCUs such as A&T, she replied “It’s very important! Young students need to be able to witness artists like me, so they can see we have a dream and we are still following our dreams.It’s good to be able to show young people dreams do come true, but you never stop working.”

Luckett’s performance showed how she has overcame adversity with the Destiny’s Child era, and how she is making her solo career nothing short of a success.

This event left its audience satisfied and wanting more. SUAB did a good job with this event. Showcases like this brings new appreciation to attending an HBCU.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Ashley Vaughn, Scene Editor