HEAT’ bus hits faculty member on the corner of Bluford and Benbow

On Jan. 20, 2009, at 1:03 p.m., a pedestrian was heading north along the crosswalk of Benbow Road and Bluford Circle and was struck by a HEAT bus.

The victim was identified as April Cobb, associate vice chancellor for academic affairs, as listed by the North Carolina A&T directory. The accident occurred on Bluford Street, near the bus stop. The driver of the HEAT bus was 48-year-old Willie James Wright Jr. according to the police report, Wright failed to yield at the pedestrian crossing.

At the time of the accident, the HEAT bus carried no passengers, but there were two witnesses outside and the bus was equipped with a camera.  All of the evidence was submitted to the Greensboro Police Department.

The HEAT, or Higher Education Area Transit, bus provides transportation services to the entire Greensboro college and university community. The service allows for students to use their school-issued identification cards to ride downtown to the bus depot. There are multiple bus stops on the A&T campus, including the one on Benbow Road and Bluford Circle near the Fitness Center.

Cobb suffered no broken bones and was taken to Moses Cone Hospital by Guilford County EMS. She was released from the hospital the same day.For more information, go to ncatregister.com to see the police report.

• Noma Vilane