A&T honors achievement of students

N.C. A&T took time out to honor the achievements of its students last week.

The Honors Day Convocation was held Mar. 15 in Harrison Auditorium to honor both students and faculty.

Chancellor Harold Martin welcomed and encouraged the students to, “reach out and to reach back as an example to your peers and to inspire them to likewise achieve on recognition.

This was not a message just to students. It was also meant to encourage faculty members to keep enriching their students’ education and critical thinking.

As discovery driven learners, encourage them to cultivate strong study habits, participate in distinctive learning opportunities and engage in community collaboration”.

The address was delivered by ’69 alumna Sandra Daye Hughes. Today, Hughes serves in the department of journalism of mass communication at N.C. A&T as the student outreach coordinator and lecturer. She has broken many barriers in journalism as the first African-American woman in the Piedmont area to broadcast her own show and has worked for the local news channel WFMY for many years.

However, she says she takes great pride in honoring students who have accomplished the many goals they achieve for themselves in an academic setting.

In Hughes’ address, she defined an honor student as, “a critical thinker [who] loves to explore problem solving. An honor student always assists in understanding not just memorizing.

An honor student does not expect to be spoon fed required information they are self motivated…honor students are down and simple go-getters. They don’t wait for you to give it to them, they go and get it.”

Over time it has been learned that students have had a great teacher to get them to where they are today.

Six teachers were honored with the Outstanding Teacher Award which include: Teresa Styles in the College of Arts and Sciences, Steven Xiaochun Jiang in the College of Engineering, Kenrett Y. Jefferson-Moore in the School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, Lisa Gueldenzoph Snyder in the School of Business and Economics, Robin Liles in the School of Education and DeWayne Randolph Brown in the School of Technology. Also, Lemuria Carter in the School of Business and Economics along with Sonya Draper in the School of Technology were honored with the Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award.

“It’s a great feeling to be honored,” said Liles. “I was very humble by what my students were saying. They are the ones that make sense for me. Beautiful.”

Mitchell Brown, a senior business economics student said, “the honors program has given me many perks. I just got back from Africa yesterday and went to Singapore, Malaysia two years ago. It’s like a family we all know each other and we all strive for excellence and greatness.”

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Jenell McMillion, Register Reporter