Luncheon kicks off International Education Week

Becoming better global neighbors was the message Badi Foster wanted to drive home to guests at the opening luncheon for 11th annual International Education Week (IEW).

Foster, president of the Phelps Stokes organization said, “Life is not a layer cake, it‘s a marble cake. Everything is connected in ways often we are not even aware of. The important thing is that we are connected whether we like it or not.”

This analogy Foster used – according to him – was to symbolize the importance of caring for one another on a global aspect. He said one must not be concerned with the problems and issues only they face, but also the problems and issues others face.  

As colorful flags representing various nations surrounded the walls of Stallings Ballroom with a decked out buffet to match, students and faculty had an opportunity to become more aware of the global society they live in. Hosted by the Office of International Programs and The Office of International Students and Scholars, this luncheon was dedicated in the observance of IEW.

Bringing greetings as well as a shared sentiment of global awareness on the campus of N.C. A&T was chancellor Harold Martin.

“North Carolina A&T State has unique remarkable opportunity. It is extremely important that we take full advantage of the enormous opportunities afforded to this university to expose these outstanding students we serve so that we are indeed producing global leaders,” said Martin.

A&T has a history of sending students and faculty to lands abroad to conduct research. According to Martin, students, faculty and staff have recently traveled to India and China to bring substance to the memorandum of understanding within these nations.

This keynote speech, which was brought by the president of an organization dedicated to enhancing the education and socio-economic development of African-Americans, Native-Americans, and Africans was just the beginning of a week long of events for IEW hosted by The Office of International Programs as well as various other organizations on campus.

Students throughout the week will have the opportunity to attend events ranging from an international film screening to a multi-cultural Thanksgiving.

For more information on times and locations of the events, check the A&T website’s calendar.

• Kelcie McCrae